Swapping Headphone Drivers Into Different HP Enclosures
Oct 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wanger

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the M-Audio Q40s and I'm lovin' the way they sound, but to be honest I feel like their build quality is not entirely up to par.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the actual materials used, but the wire leading from the left driver to the right driver (these are single sided 'phones) is exposed and I'm pretty paranoid about snagging them and messing them up.  Also, I'd prefer a smaller driver enclosure, perhaps made out of metal. 

So my question is: would it be worthwhile to try to swap the drivers into a new headphone enclosure?  As in, would the sonic characteristics of the headphone be completely ruined if the enclosure was different?  I've got some basic soldering skills and I've already opened up the Q40s, so the actual DIY bit shouldn't be too difficult, I just don't want to ruin a pair of perfectly good sounding headphones for no reason. 

Thanks,
Mike

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 3
IME, unfortunately no. It is not often worthwhile to swap drivers between enclosures.

The drivers do certainly have a large affect on sound, but the enclosures do too. I find that its a 50/50 split, although some components have more "sound" in them than others if you get my meaning. 

As much fun as it can be to mod headphones (or anything for that matter), I would say put them up for sale and get the next better thing. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Ah okay, thanks for the input!  I just saw the Philips x O'Neill Stretch collaboration headphones and they look like they'd be the ideal headphone enclosures for me (minus the funky colors) but unfortunately they sound pretty bad according to reviews.  Damn, could have been pretty awesome.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back