Swans M10 - Having problems.
Nov 27, 2008 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Klisk

Head-Fier
Here's the story:

I ordered my first set of Swans M10's from theaudioinsider. Received them. Right out the box I noticed something weird, the sub was buzzing and rattling, flapping even, almost like sub was blown. Volume on the sub was only at 25%, bass knob at 50%, and the source was a macbook. So, I emailed theaudioinsider, asking if I could order a new set and then send the old ones back for a refund. They agreed this is fine.

The SECOND set arrived. The sub, again, is no good -- It's rattling and making noise, and it's annoying. The speakers are fine, mind you -- But the subs are just noisy. The subs are making the most annoying noise. It's like if you took a piece of paper and slapped it against a desk in time to the music.

Here's the kicker, though: I only took the sub out of the second set to test it. I never took the speakers out of the box on that second set... Until now. Then I found that there was a chip on the white portion of one of the speakers, and there's no way I made it. I noticed it straight out the cloth bag.

I'm almost (cringe) wondering if these are actually refurbs, or returns.
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 8
i remember someone complaining about rattling in the subwoofer once before, and it turned out the provided rca to mini cable had slipped into the port on the subwoofer and was rattling around in side of the sub. Eventually they realized that was the problem, pulled it out and everything was ok.

When i received my swans about a year ago they also had some chips in the lettering on the speakers, but i doubt they were refurbished or anything, they still looked pretty new.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remember someone complaining about rattling in the subwoofer once before, and it turned out the provided rca to mini cable had slipped into the port on the subwoofer and was rattling around in side of the sub. Eventually they realized that was the problem, pulled it out and everything was ok.

Thanks for the input.

I used a flashlight to see if anything was in there, but unfortunately, nope... The RCA to mini cables are both safely outside of the subs. Actually, I've actually been using one of them to hook up the speakers to my macbook.

It's a shame, really, this set is exactly what I wanted, right in my price range, but the noise from the woofer is pretty distracting.. The fact that I got 2 out of 2 sets with an identical problem isn't a great sign.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 8
I just ordered a set of Swans M10s a few days ago, they'll probably come in sometime next week. I'll let ya know if I run into that same problem. Just out of curiosity how much burn in time did you give them? I've heard the bass can sound a bit floppy right out of the box.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a set of Swans M10s a few days ago, they'll probably come in sometime next week. I'll let ya know if I run into that same problem. Just out of curiosity how much burn in time did you give them? I've heard the bass can sound a bit floppy right out of the box.

Thanks. I'd love to see how your set is.

I gave them at least 100 hours of burn in time, I'd actually go to sleep with the music on, because I was determined that the noise would go away with time.

Unfortunately, it got progressively worse, and the noise on the set that has been used is definitely louder than the second newer set I just got.
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 8
My Swans just came in today, just set them up about 10 minutes ago and haven't noticed and such buzzing or rattling noises from the sub. It's very clean sounding at my bass knob at about 60% volume 50%. I'll update more once I have time to listen to them later on today.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 8
After about 2 days of listening I'm really falling in love with the speakers. There's no noticeable bass rattling, I ordered from the Audioinsider and I'm thinking that your second pair of speakers must be defected =/ Handles pretty much everything I throw at it very well, especially blues/jazz/classical and has very good instrument separation. Very crisp sound! The bass I'd describe it as tight and punchy - not at all boomy but starts to shake my desk with the volume knob at 40%, computer volume at 100%. From the way I have it setup with the subwoofer on my desk and my seat about 3-4 feet away from the speakers I definately get adequate bass for my tastes. The lower end bass with songs with big boomy bass is the only place where these speakers really suffer, kind of has a small rattle when played at higher volumes, but I just turn the sub volume down to fix this. I don't feel that my speakers rattle to the degree at which you describe though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back