Swan M50W vs Swan M200MKII
Sep 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cdubyee

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster on Head-Fi! I was wondering about which to bite on? There is a deal right now for M200MKIIs + 2 H2s for $309, and M50W's for $279. The prices are comparable, but I was wondering your opinions? Space should not be an issue, as I am not a true audiophile (yet) and can't really see myself being able to distinguish the difference in space placement for the speakers. 

To elaborate more, I've read that the M200s need to be spaced 3-6 feet apart with a 6 foot distance for optimum hearing. That's a non-issue for me.

I realize that the M50s have a sub, but I've also read that the M200's are more than adequate, and I can always upgrade later. I do like to listen to all varieties of music, but sub is also a non-issue for me. 

I've done some research on them, but I can't say that I am knowledgeable enough to make an educated decision... I have read raving reviews for Swan for the price-point and quality, and have decided to go with them. I was planning on purchasing the M-10s but I think paying more now for some decent speakers will pay off in the end.

Anyways, if you have them or have been able to audition them, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

ninja edit: I don't plan to go over $300- I initially only wanted to spend about 150-200. If you have any suggestions that match the aesthetics and sound quality of these models, please do suggest!

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a pair of old school Polks that go down to around the same as those M200MKII and i am not a HC bass head and so far i find them musical enuff but if you a basshead a dedicated sub is in order hehe

Actually why do u need H2 thrown in? I rather you consider the  D1080MkII 08 and a 8-10" sub hehe
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=swan-d1080mkii08&products_id=161

If amp + passive is not ruled out

Infinity Primus P162 $150/pair
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162BG/Infinity-Primus-P162-Black-grille.html?tp=34

Reviews
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/infinity-primus-p162

Dayton DTA-100A $100
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Hey trog,

Thanks for the advice. I am mainly considering adding the H2's on because they are included in the deal. 289$ for the pair of M200s and  $309 for the pair + 2 H2s. I'm just a sucker for extras.

Is there a reason to suggest the D1080s? That sounds like a viable option, but is there a difference in sound quality or anything? I can eventually throw in a sub, but the sub isn't so important right now. I'd rather buy into a quality starter set and build later... If I can have a 4.0 system right now, then it isn't out of the question to make it a 5.1 system later is it? 

I have been trying to find a good paired sub with the M200 but I haven't found anything that really pairs seamlessly with it. There appears to be conflicts with the frequencies that end up canceling each other out... Not that I can really say why or how.. Anyone have a suggestion for that?

Also, amp+ passive is not ruled out, but wouldn't I need to purchase a receiver with that? Sorry if I sound ignorant, the truth is... I am. And that's why I'm here to learn :D. Not saying a receiver is out of the question, but I think $300 is my budget right now.

I think what has attracted me most to Swan is the quality and beauty, but if anyone can suggest some speakers similar in aesthetics and quality then I am more than open to them. The Infinities look nice, but how do they compare to the M200s? They are definitely on my list to consider now.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Well if you must have a sub then D1080s and a hifi sub a.s.a.p would have been a great solution for the $$ but if a sub is not a must then your call i guess 
tongue_smile.gif

Hmm from your OP u are looking at 2.0/2.1 at the most so you need a surround sound processor/receiver only if you want to go say 5.1/7.1 else any stereo amplifier would be good to go 
L3000.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 15
So what are the benefits of purchasing computer speakers vs speakers that require an amp/receiver? My speakers will be in my room, so subs are not a must right now.

I think for now, I just want some great sounding speakers. Quality of receivers/amps/anything else aren't a necessity, and I don't think I really want/need a sub for my room right now.

That being said, I was only thinking of the M200s+H2s because they came with the H2s for pretty much the same price. 

After researching a little more into the Primus I don't know if I want to go with those right now. Anything else to suggest for now? I was also looking into some Onkyo speakers http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000GU78Z4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315712139&sr=1-3, but what does everyone else think? I was thinking of just building my set up little by little. 

The most important part is a good start. Thanks again for the help!

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 15
OP: Did you ever pick one? I'm mulling them over too. M10 sats look smaller which I like. But I would hate to give up clearer mids from the 200's. They're larger mid woofers, yes?

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 15
Hi Jodiuh, I actually picked up the M200MKII's. They sound great, and I am, for the most part, very satisfied with my purchase. While I don't have much to compare, the M200s have larger mid-woofers- according to The Audio Insider's spec information, they have 5.25" woofers, while the M10s do not.

The M10s are definitely smaller, but I wanted to have that little bit extra... Just in case. Though, after testing out the H2s, size does not matter so much. The H2s are very portable, and also pack a punch- I was surprised. I am sure you will be satisfied with your purchase regardless.

A couple of things: For some reason my M200s started randomly oscillating while it was idling (and I was sleeping). It happened a few times. I spoke with the rep I purchased from, and he said that it was a fluke- that he's never had it happen. I still have to change the input cables to see if it is an input issue or a hardware issue. Minus this problem, they sound great. High quality, crisp sound, very punchy, clean bass, etc. Which leads me to my second point...

I am by no means a technical expert, and an audiophile-in-training so to speak... With years to go. Feel free to ask me more questions and I will do my best to answer them. Bottom line: I was quite satisfied with my M200's and would highly recommend (even with the issue I mentioned), but I don't have much authority one the subject, as I was not able to try the M10s (or other speakers for that matter). Hope this helped.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 15

makes me excited for when my M200MKIIIs come in!
Quote:
Hi Jodiuh, I actually picked up the M200MKII's. They sound great, and I am, for the most part, very satisfied with my purchase. While I don't have much to compare, the M200s have larger mid-woofers- according to The Audio Insider's spec information, they have 5.25" woofers, while the M10s do not.

The M10s are definitely smaller, but I wanted to have that little bit extra... Just in case. Though, after testing out the H2s, size does not matter so much. The H2s are very portable, and also pack a punch- I was surprised. I am sure you will be satisfied with your purchase regardless.

A couple of things: For some reason my M200s started randomly oscillating while it was idling (and I was sleeping). It happened a few times. I spoke with the rep I purchased from, and he said that it was a fluke- that he's never had it happen. I still have to change the input cables to see if it is an input issue or a hardware issue. Minus this problem, they sound great. High quality, crisp sound, very punchy, clean bass, etc. Which leads me to my second point...

I am by no means a technical expert, and an audiophile-in-training so to speak... With years to go. Feel free to ask me more questions and I will do my best to answer them. Bottom line: I was quite satisfied with my M200's and would highly recommend (even with the issue I mentioned), but I don't have much authority one the subject, as I was not able to try the M10s (or other speakers for that matter). Hope this helped.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:

Thanks for all the info! I broke down in Fry's and brought home the Creative T40 series 2's. They sound like electronic fart machines. :frowning2:

So I went backed and convinced myself the size of the M-Audio AV40's and rear on/off switch were acceptable tradeoffs. MUCH MUCH better. I'm very pleased w/ them. @ $120 after taxes I'm wondering if I really need to spend another $200...

That said the AV40's still seem a bit off to my ears. Maybe it's the rear firing ports being too close to the wall, but the low end seems to overpower and hummmmm @ times. But if I'm going to pay upwards of $300~$400 for speakers I definitely want the best in that budget bracket. I did look @ the KRK Rokit's and love the front port in addition to claims of a "wider" sweet spot. Do they sound better than the MKII's? The dual power buttons and lack of front volume knobs kind of suck though, lol. I'm already a bit peeved w/ the single rear port on the AV40's!

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, I took back the Rokit's.

1. Quieter case reveals a nonstop hiss from the tweeters.
2. Got sick of the lack of front volume/on/off controls.
3. They're just too dang big, lol!

Grabbed some Logitech Z-623's from Fry's to tide me over, but I don't think they're gonna cut it. I can't quite place it, but something's not right.

May 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 15
i got the m200mkii , er are there any mods or subs or exteded volume controls for this thing !!! i have to reach all the way across my desk to adjust the volume !

May 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 15
yeah i hope so haha a, now i got to find find sound retarding foam....for my door and some rubber iinserts for the door , the sound travels with the m200mkii ,  have been trying to find a comfortable listening volume as i like to make it very loud and im a late bird and my roommate is getting pissed at me... bass is punchy but when i play black ops2 the gun sound like it has more omph to it when i compare it to my SRH-1840s  i find my self adjusting the bass and treble alot, trying to find the sweet spot but with so much diverse applications i use them for , 
i like bass when watching action movies , treble and bass has to be balanced when i play games and critical listening or when im editing video i need the audio to be perfectly balanced etc and it gets hot when i use headphones... could start a thread with eq options
like sometime when listening to guitar recordings i have to turn the bass nob to 11oclock to make it sound as real as possible and it does but when i listen to a vocal and guitar centric song i turn the bass nob to the 1:30pm area , hte guitar sounds take a hit but the vocals have more realism to them instead of sounding dry or "weak"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back