Swan m200 or what?
May 29, 2007 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tippet

New Head-Fier
Ok so I picked up a pair of swans off ebay ...turns out wasnt getting any sound out of passive speaker ..seller is taking them back... however I was impressed with the sound out of the one I managed to hear from. So Im considering picking up a new pair however am wondering whether for a few bucks more ( say up to 3-350 ) I should consider something else? I'm using these on my computer in a small office 10x14... would like to keep it simple ( amplified speaker as opposed to ala carte ) have a modded x-fi card and listen to pretty much everything while I work. Many thanks in advance...

May 29, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 15
If you have the space then Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are a good start. If space is an issue, look into Acoustic Energy Aego M. I personally have tried both (currently using the AE set) & they sound fantastic. I stuck with the AE for looks & space issues.

May 29, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 15
I've tried the klipsch and personally thought they were rather one dimensional... earth shaking bass out of the subwoofer that you basically have to keep on the lowest setting... I would select the swans over the klipsch... havent had the opportunity to try the AE

May 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 15
i'd love to say get another pair of M200s as i have them and love them... but since you're willing to expand your budget, i say maybe have a look around and see what else there is out there -- i don't have any specific recommendations as i haven't heard anything above the M200s. good luck!

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tippet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I picked up a pair of swans off ebay ...turns out wasnt getting any sound out of passive speaker ..seller is taking them back... however I was impressed with the sound out of the one I managed to hear from. So Im considering picking up a new pair however am wondering whether for a few bucks more ( say up to 3-350 ) I should consider something else? I'm using these on my computer in a small office 10x14... would like to keep it simple ( amplified speaker as opposed to ala carte ) have a modded x-fi card and listen to pretty much everything while I work. Many thanks in advance...

same thing happened to me..need the same recommendation too

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 15
I like my M-audio BX5a powered speakers in my office. The sound is clean and accurate and the image is very nice. They are typical of monitor speakers in that the correct toed-in placement throws a very centered image that is cool for a desk setup.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Yup Klipsch aren't exactly monitors. At the big name, yet fairly well budgeted studio monitor level M-Audio puts out. I have the LX4 2.1 set up which is probably decently inferior to Voltron's pair, but it does me well enough to back his recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 15
so these monitors have built in amp and dont need a receiver to function?

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so these monitors have built in amp and dont need a receiver to function?

Correct. Their only quirk is that the input is either XLR or TRS (1/4" plug). I bought some adapter cables that go from RCA to XLR and all is well.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. Their only quirk is that the input is either XLR or TRS (1/4" plug). I bought some adapter cables that go from RCA to XLR and all is well.

can you recommend some other studio monitors that doesnt need an amp that is around $200ish price?

i saw alesis m1 and not sure whether they have integrated amp in it..and how can i check them in the specs?

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you recommend some other studio monitors that doesnt need an amp that is around $200ish price?

i saw alesis m1 and not sure whether they have integrated amp in it..and how can i check them in the specs?

Use the search function to search thread titles only in this forum and put in the word monitor. you will find several threads listing various powered monitors. Going to Guitar Center, if available to you, is also a good suggestion.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my M-audio BX5a powered speakers in my office. The sound is clean and accurate and the image is very nice. They are typical of monitor speakers in that the correct toed-in placement throws a very centered image that is cool for a desk setup.

Total agreement here. I scored a pair of BX5 for a great price on eBay. Terrific little monitors but I was pretty confident of that going in since I also have their big brother - the BX8s.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 15
krk rp5 or 6 monitors are really good too. They run for around 300 on the bay? defnitely check them out, great near field performance.

Mike

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tippet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The event ALP5 seem to be highly regarded ( seem to be able to get them between 290-320 pr ) anyone have experience with them?

I have had a pair of Event ALP5s for about 2 weeks.I am running them balanced off an E-MU 0404/USB.I think they are most excellent for the money.I like them for jazz really well because piano and string bass sound so natural through them.They are very dynamic run balanced so are a fun listen.I don't know how they compair to the Swans or the Audio Engine 5s.If you get a chance to hear them make sure they are well broken in because they take some time to get going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back