Swan M200 MkIIs vs. A2 vs. AV40
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darth_vato

Head-Fier
Hello again everyone. First of all, I absolutely love music, but I've only owned a few pair of cans; AT AD700s and AKG 701s, and now I would like to get the best speakers possible for my PC for ~250$ (All of the spare cash I have laying about at the moment) and I was just wondering which of these three speakers to get, since they seem to be held in such high regard. I was looking in these forums mainly for A2 vs. AV40s, and one of the first threads I came to also had the Swan M200 MkII mentioned in them, for 50 more dollars, so I figured I could shell out the last bit of money if the sound quality difference was substantial. How big is the quality difference between the Swan M200 MkII compared to the AV40s or A2s?

Again, thanks for all of your help, guys. I appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 9
I have not listened to the Swans but I have the BX5a and I have owned the Audioengine A2 and M-audio AV40. The BX5a is much better than the A2 and AV40 in all aspect, there is no comparison really. The only thing the A2 has over the BX5a is the midbass but otherwise, the BX5a rips the A2 and AV40 in detail. If you can you should definitely pay a bit more to get the BX5a. Note that the BX5a is bright sounding, the A2 and AV40 not so much. I think you'll be impressed by the treble detail you'll be hearing from the BX5a for its price

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Keep in mind that the BX5a is a nearfield monitor, not a "computer speaker". Inputs are TRS and XLR, and the level controls are individual. My recommendation would be the Swan.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that the BX5a is a nearfield monitor, not a "computer speaker". Inputs are TRS and XLR, and the level controls are individual. My recommendation would be the Swan.

Oh alright. Thanks for the info. I'm totally new to computer audio. The only knowledge I have about audio is with headphones, lol.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 9
I've had a couple of nearfields on my desk (all far more capable and expensive than the M-Audio), and none of them I really felt were what I would call "musically engaging" or enjoyable to just sit and listen to. They seem more like tools for engineering work.

The Swans blow away the Audioengines and M-Audio AV series. I don't think you can do better than the MKII or MKIII on the desktop.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 9
I've had all three at one point or another. The M200 MKII was definitely an upgrade from the AV40, and if you add in a cheap DAC (Nuforce icon mobile, uDac, even the M-Audio fasttrack USB) it is great, with a much more "complete" sound, especially in the midbass region. The only reason to choose the A2 over the Swans would be if you were limited in space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back