Swan D1080MKII/Nuforce issue
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

commandaria

Head-Fier
Hi,
Currently I have the swan D1080MKII.
I recently purchased a nuforce Icon DAC. When I got it i realized that it wouldnt work if i connect it by RCA to USB. I have to use their special cable. Problem is that the Swans come with their own special cable and I cannot use the Nuforce ones.

Right now I connect it thru the headphone out to RCA to the speakers.

Would that make it sound worse? would it be better if I got a new speaker to accommodate? or sell my dac? What would be the best thing to do?
Would my current set up effect the sound quality?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 10
I am not sure I understand. You are talking about RCA-to-USB, right? That is not possible as far as I am aware of, because USB is digital and RCA is analog.

What are these special cables you are talking about? There are 2 cables that come with the Swans as far as I know. One of them is to connect the two speakers(have no idea what that cable are called) and the other one is a RCA-to-Minijack(convenient to connect to your computer, laptop or mp3 player). What you need to connect the speakers to your nuforce dac is a RCA-to-RCA cable.

Or have I completely misunderstood your question/problem/issue ?

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 10
so basically the Nuforce icon has three inputs (mini, usb, rca) and one output
(this is the description that Nuforce gives "(RJ45 connectors with 15 micron thick gold plating). NuForce RJ45 to banana plug speaker cables are provided with NuForce Icon. ")

Here is a picture of it:
http://www.unplggd.com/uimages/unplg...icon_wires.jpg

MY swans do not have a banana plug. This is the plug they use
Imageshack - img3330q.jpg

Thus to use my nuforce I went RCA-mini and connected it to the headphone output.
So it goes

Laptop---Nuforce Icon---3.5mm mini/rca (thru theHeadphone Output)--speaker.

Would this compromise the sound quality?

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 10
I think you messed up with your research. The nuForce Icon is a DAC and integrated amplifier, made for passive speakers without an amplifier of their own. That's what the banana plugs are for. The Swans are active speakers, they have an amplifier of their own inside. It wouldn't be worth it to amplify the Swans twice. In your current setup, the amplifier in the Icon is not driving the speakers - the Icon is being used as a volume control (passive preamp) and as a DAC. And no, I don't think there's a way to bypass the amplifier inside the Swans.

Under the situation, your current setup is probably the best you can do. I think the Icon's not the best DAC either but that's for your next upgrade...

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Dac...just get a regular one. the nuforce probably won't be able to power worthwhile speakers. Try to sell the nuforce and get a real dac.
smily_headphones1.gif
best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back