SW MI Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Meh...
rolleyes.gif

No really, the sound was good, not $2200 good but it was good.

But there were definately more impressive amps there. (Sorry Todd!)

That's OK Gordon, those were my feelings too, I'm sending it back.
If it was $1000, I'd be a dealer for Aural in a second, but not at the current price.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NIK
Sorry, but how can you do a serious comparison with a imbalanced amp?

There wasn't a problem with the amp or the headphones, but with a stepped attenuator, you must pick a position. Halfway between steps you can get an imbalance as both sets of contacts may not be on the matching pair of resistors.
TR

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 24
using an amplifier with the volume control halfway between steps on a stepped attenuator? lol.

was the switch test between the Aural and the Hornet done with the stepped attenuator used properly?

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #18 of 24
What did you guy's think of the sound of the Eddie Current DualMono-1?
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
using an amplifier with the volume control halfway between steps on a stepped attenuator? lol.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't doing a test in between settings. When I was moving the knob it just made the channels imbalanced until I got to the next setting. It's the only stepped I've used so I don't know if this is normal or not, but not what I want to hear when I change the volume.

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #20 of 24
We lost one full hour trying to make it out of down town Chicago, Then when we got so close to the meet place, the mapquest direction did not agree with street signs & names, There we lost another hour trying to find the meet place that people in the 2 block area did not know it existed. When we got in we were two hour late, but happy to make it. I was saddened to see a lot of posters who posted that they were going to be there did not make it.
Todd R, was kind enough to have dedicated a lot of his time to reserve this big place which was out in the nature, to have this great event. But even with limited people the meet went fine as we were having a lot of fun talking to the legendary tyle "The Headroom Man". I would like to say, thanks Todd for hosting this meet & providing the great food & drinks for every one.
After the meet my family & I went to Todd 's place "Home" to listen to his speaker system. It was very impressive, We listened for over 2 hours to his vinyl set-up. Thanks to Kim, Todd's wife, for being so friendly & hospitable to invite us into your home. We had a blast We end up making up for those 2 lost hours at Todd's place.
Ray Samuels

Oct 5, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
What did you guy's think of the sound of the Eddie Current DualMono-1?
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
eggosmile.gif

I would be interested in that as well. Thanks.

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 24
No Takers?

Thanks

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Just to make it clear, I wasn't doing a test in between settings. When I was moving the knob it just made the channels imbalanced until I got to the next setting. It's the only stepped I've used so I don't know if this is normal or not, but not what I want to hear when I change the volume.

That is just the way it works. Stepped attenuators don't smoothly change volumes with perfect transitions...otherwise they wouldn't be stepped. It is likely that when used properly the channel imbalance is a magnitude better than the 'smooth' volume pots. If you care about channel imbalance, stepped attenuators are much better than smooth turn pots. If you care about infinite range control, smooth is better. Realistically, people don't change volume during playback constantly for transitions to matter (if you are listening to an album you usually set and forget if the track's are similarly recorded), but range control is a concern.

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 24
Hi Guys,

Finally home and on my computer that can suck in the pix.

As you can see, we were out in the sticks for this one.

meetswmichhorse.jpg

Todd put on a lovely meet. Here he and Ken enjoy Todd's gear.

meetswmichtoddandken.jpg

Todd's son Charles imitates Wallice and Grommet.

meetswmichgrommet.jpg

Oldears came and set up a very nice tablefull of tube gear.

meetswmicholdears.jpg

His wife sat and knitted. Man, she can tear it up. She had about a square foot of fuzzy blanket by the end.

meetswmicholdearswife.jpg

Headphone lust was present.

meetswmichheadroomtable.jpg

meetswmichbabykennysmiles.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back