Sviatoslav Richter or Martha Argerich?
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 18
I love both Richter and Argerich immensely. Concerning Prokofiev:
It's hard to compare them, because their Prokofiev recordings have almost no overlap, if I am not mistaken: Argerich recorded the first and third concertos, Richter the first (1954) and fifth. Richter recorded a bunch of sonatas, Argerich as far as I know only the 7th. Richter recorded some more solo piano stuff (Visions fugitive and probably more), Argerich only the amazing toccata. If there's anything I am missing, I'd greatly appreciate to hear about it!

I REALLY love the Argerich/Dutoit CD with Prokofiev's 1st and 3rd and Bartoks 3rd concertos. I don't think she's as much in the foreground there as in her earlier recordings, and it doesn't feel to me like she's trying to show off technique. Richters 1st concerto I can hardly compare, because the sound quality is really bad. I don't particularly like Argerich's 7ths sonata, and tbh I haven't heard Richter play it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I liked his rendition better (I'm not too familiar with the sonatas...I should change that). Argerich's Toccata on the other hand is delicious, my favorite performance of this "little piece". I don't think Richter recorded it.
Too bad neither of these giants has recorded Prokofievs second piano concerto...
mad.gif

I guess to summarize: I like Argerich's Prokofiev better, because she plays my favorite Prokofiev pieces amazingly, while Richter hasn't recorded them.

(Please, if I'm missing any notable recordings, I'd like to know about it.)

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 18
Richter, because he recorded far more than Argerich, and most of it is at a very high level. And while I love Argerich for her faster-louder-shinier approach, Richter is such an anachronism with his "interpreter-as-co-creator" playing. But I like that because nowadays everyone plays like Argerich, but no one really plays like Richter. A lost art....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back