Susvara and cheap Chinese Topping amp, really???
May 21, 2023 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lockjaw

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so we know Susvara is a pain to power. In the end, the only thing I found that seems to work is a speaker amp. (AHB2 in my case). It's very easy to make a 4pin xlr to bananas or get one on-line.

I purchased a Topping A90D for 500 bucks open box. I know, that's the price of a good cable. This little cheap amp actually powers the Susvara REALLY well. I'm doing an AB test right how as I sip on my morning coffee.

I pulled out some of my favorite test tracks

Fever - Ray Charles
Three Grains of Salt - Bilcher (This is one of the best recorded tracks of all time, try it)
Autumn Nocturne - Emmet Cohen
Jazz at the Pawnshop (the entire album is amazing)
Musical Genocide - Porter (what a voice)
Take Five - Brubeck (I know, everyone is sick of this track, but the recording is amazing)

These amps sound so very close..... minimal difference, maybe a slight clarity edge to the Benchmark (but this could be a confirmation bias). I am unable to double blind this. Be back in 20 minutes... need to listen some more.
ok, I'm back, I can't tell a difference. Darn!

Are Chinese products really getting this good? ? ? (at least Topping)

Anyone have a similar experience?

I'm actually going to stick with the Topping for my Susvara and permanently move the Benchmark amp to my two channel rig (Revel 208s, Benchmark DAC3)

Topping D90se DAC is another product that so far has blown me away so far.

I am good with using cheap electronics that get the job done so I can spend more on transducers. It kind of takes away some of the fun of the hobby as I do like chasing super expensive gear that looks cool. My Chord Dave really wasn't THAT much better than the D90SE, and that was a rude awakening for me.

Steve

Yeah I know, a Susvara sitting on an Abyss headphone stand, what's the world coming to.
The cigar cutter is used for cigars, not speaker wire :)-~

IMG_0004.jpg

May 21, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 28
My Topping stack powered it just fine with my -5.5db pre-gain too. Basically lived in medium gain. Every other headphone I have used I'm in low gain in addition with my EQ's also . In comparison susvara never sounded underpowered or thin. Also make sure you're in 5v mode on the DAC for a bit of extra juice.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 28
The Topping stack will be my choice if I end up getting a Susvara.
Specifically, the A70 Pro and D70 Pro.

More than enough power. Excellent performance overall, without paying out of the nose.
LOVE the AHB2, but even the LA90 these days... just has a lot of perks for the money.

May 22, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 28
I tried the A70 Pro, not with Susvara, but with HE6SEv2...and it had so much power that I didn't even need to use high gain for them. It's ridiculous.

It was also really well built, felt like a quality product all around. The new touchscreen display with the meters and VU was a nice touch.

May 22, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 28
Let me apologize first because this is going to seem like I'm trying to be an *ss (the New Yorker in me) but the Topping stack is fair at best. If you think that sounds great, then you haven't heard a good system. I have it and it doesn't compare to a good dac and amp.

I currently have the stack sitting here in front of me. I'll happily sell it to anyone here for $500 for both items. Even my efficient headphones like the Utopia doesn't sound anywhere near as good as some of my other components. It really is a noticeable difference.

IMG_1933.jpeg

May 22, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 28
A Chord Dave is a detail monster but the amp section is nothing amazing. I had it and preferred the Holo May KTE with a really good amp.

Another thing to consider is knowing what to listen to. Definitely go to events and listen to a lot of different setups to train your ears and brain to distinguish the differences.

Again apologies I came off too strong but I’m not very impressed with the stack so I clicked on thread when I saw the title.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 28
@TDinCali they mentioned a benchmark ahb2 and a chord dave, i think most would consider that a good setup
I can back this up.

I've used my Abyss 1266 with AHB2 + Dave, Moon Neo with Dave, and a few other stupid expensive setups.
I've ALSO used it with Topping "x"90 stack (non-discrete, and not the newer 70 Pro series that I am planning to purchase)

I sold the Dave + AHB2. Can't really justify keeping them if there's very little to no positive difference.
At the end of the day, transducers are king.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 28
I can back this up.

I've used my Abyss 1266 with AHB2 + Dave.
I've ALSO used it with Topping "x"90 stack (non-discrete, and not the newer 70 Pro series that I am planning to purchase)

To say the least:
I sold the Dave + AHB2. Can't really tell the difference. At the end of the day, transducers are king.
interesting. not exactly related but have you ever tried a tube amp with your 1266?

May 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 28
interesting. not exactly related but have you ever tried a tube amp with your 1266?
I can't say I have.
The last time I used tube amps was around the time the LCD-4 came out.
Think I tried the LCD-4, HD800, HE-1000 (original) and a few others off of tubes.

Eventually decided that solid state was more "my speed."

May 22, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 28
I can back this up.

I've used my Abyss 1266 with AHB2 + Dave, Moon Neo with Dave, and a few other stupid expensive setups.

I sold the Dave + AHB2. Can't really justify keeping them if there's very little to no positive difference.
At the end of the day, transducers are king.
Dude, you couldn’t hear a difference? If you’re happy with the Topping stack I’ll send you mine free of charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back