Suspiciously AKGish drivers on aliexpress?
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ericj

Headphoneus Supremus
I was poking around the aliexpress driver selection and came across these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32543482390.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.d3ef2e0eUx1CME

Which are clearly in the style of drivers that started with the K400 and continued through at least K702, though with an earlier style geometry for sure.

Whether they were made by or for AKG is anyone's guess but they look a heck of a lot like k400/k500 style drivers.

I'd guess nobody has tried them since the vendor doesn't appear to have sold a pair yet.

I have two K400 frames and only two good K400 drivers so maybe i should pull the trigger and see how they are?

I know some people argue that all of the drivers on aliexpress are trash-picked rejects from the factories but I have some doubts that this is always the case. I'm sure most of them are just terrible drivers in their own right, just like you find in most headphones.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 7
ok i pulled the trigger.

I guess in 2 months when it gets here and i transplant it into the empty K400 frame I will let you know how they are. Maybe even set up my measurement rig and do some comparisons.

I guess in the mean time i should design and print some oval "K ???" badges. And a set of "K 500" badges for my badgeless K500.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 7
I was poking around the aliexpress driver selection and came across these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32543482390.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.d3ef2e0eUx1CME

Which are clearly in the style of drivers that started with the K400 and continued through at least K702, though with an earlier style geometry for sure.

Whether they were made by or for AKG is anyone's guess but they look a heck of a lot like k400/k500 style drivers.

I'd guess nobody has tried them since the vendor doesn't appear to have sold a pair yet.

I have two K400 frames and only two good K400 drivers so maybe i should pull the trigger and see how they are?

I know some people argue that all of the drivers on aliexpress are trash-picked rejects from the factories but I have some doubts that this is always the case. I'm sure most of them are just terrible drivers in their own right, just like you find in most headphones.

That magnet looks on the smaller side, tho it does look thick, so there might be something there, interested in what you find out.

Tho if you want some safer Aliexpress driver the Foster ones are not bad (tho hard to tune, especially in a open back housing). There are two high end one, specifically the D9200 one and one that looks like it could be from the Klipsh HP3 (at least measuring like it).

EDIT: FIXED HYPERLINK

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 7
That magnet looks on the smaller side, tho it does look thick, so there might be something there, interested in what you find out.

Tho if you want some safer Aliexpress driver the Foster ones are not bad (tho hard to tune, especially in a open back housing). There are two high end one, specifically the D9200 one and one that looks like it could be from the Klipsh HP3.

The klipsch hp3 link seems to have gotten mangled?

I have some of the 40mm "composite mycelium of carbon" drivers (sometimes described as wool composite maybe?) and they look an awful lot like the biocellulose drivers i pulled out of the Aurvana Live (AH-D1001?) that i never ever listen to. Just without the mesh grill. I'm gradually designing a grado-style 3d printable frame for the 40mm foster drivers. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900747030.html

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 7
The klipsch hp3 link seems to have gotten mangled?

I have some of the 40mm "composite mycelium of carbon" drivers (sometimes described as wool composite maybe?) and they look an awful lot like the biocellulose drivers i pulled out of the Aurvana Live (AH-D1001?) that i never ever listen to. Just without the mesh grill. I'm gradually designing a grado-style 3d printable frame for the 40mm foster drivers. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900747030.html

While the Impedance matches those are a tiny bit different from the CAL foster drivers.
9960362.jpg

The ones matching the driver more clearly are these ones, tho they are 16ohm. But the design is definitely foster and the spec sheet next to em is also from foster.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 7
They turned up today. I'd take pictures but they look exactly as advertised. Like a K500 driver (like a K400 driver but shiny)

Exact fit in the spare K400 frame as predicted. Have not listened to them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back