survey: stupid looking phones and the people who wear them
Oct 9, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #16 of 53
You want to see REAL stupid looking headphones?

I present to you the Maxell Light-beats:

pop_lightbeat3.jpg

I was taking the bus to a class once and saw this girl sitting a few seats across wearing these headphones that had blinking LEDs flashing to the music. You cannot imagine how hard I laughed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #17 of 53
Grado headphones are ugly...especially the one with the Al casing (the SR325, I think). The HD580 isn't that bad... AKG1000 is ugly. And the best looking goes to those Sony prototype headphones ... if anyone remembers, they had removable drivers.

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 53
WHAT!??! The SR-325s are IMHO the best looking Grados there are (well maybe the MS-2s).

Etys though, you look strange with them on... like you have two pencils stuck in your ear or something... at least, better than grados...

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #19 of 53
Yes Ety's will always look strange. But perhaps they should forgo the blue/red L/R color scheme. But than it would have to be some cheesy imprinted L or R letter or something. And who knows what detrimental effects the imprinted L and R could form in resonation!

I was thinking some die-cast aluminum with encrusted jewels...but figured that wouldn't help. I think the problem is people are not used to seeing things where they normally wouldn't see things in your ears.

At least they are one of the few great sounding phones that let you have less stupid looking hair...this is of course in the far-fetched totally absurd scenario where the headfizer actually has:

1. Hair
2. Enough Hair
3. Enough Hair with a nice hair cut
biggrin.gif

Sony's streetstyle solution to the problem is brand recognition...so when people see silver flashing bright reds and blue thingies on your ears...they say "thats a Sony".

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 53
Ah, at least Etys don't seem like they're waving a big neon banner. I don't care for the look of the metal (SR series) Grados, but I do like the look of the wooden (RS series) Grados, for some reason.

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 53
You are all nutty!!!

AKG K1000 are so ugly that you just have to love them!

Grado rules with their mighty retro look!

The Sony MDR-CD300 are so huge that you can't not like them.

The Sony MDR-R10 are so over the top that they just scream audiophile insanity!

Sennheiser 580/600 are so cool looking.

Stax are even more retro goodness. Just look at their new closed phones, they look like those crappy (sound wise) but great looking cans from the 70's, but with Stax sound!

But, those other tready headphones suck the ass!

and that's that.

Oct 9, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #22 of 53
the cool thing about people who wear those flashing maxell headphones is that the music is usually so loud they can't hear you making fun of them.

Oct 9, 2001 at 6:51 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
AKG K1000. Heck, I've got to give it credit for striking the perfect balance between sheer ugliness and sheer goofiness!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey... I resemble that remark!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 53
Hehe, well you've got more guts than I would, wearing those for your avatar picture!
smily_headphones1.gif

They don't look too bad when they're worn normally (like you've got them), but whenever somebody wears them spread out front, it looks like a pair of wings just sprout from their head!
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 53
i think the porta pro (jr) look ok. the sporta pro just looks really ugly to me.

i think stax cans are beautiful.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:00 AM Post #27 of 53
As much as I disliked it that my K1000's werent portable, its really probably better that way. I dont consider myself inhibited, in particular, but wearing the K1000 in public?? Not gonna happen.
The Sony CD3000 looks fine; its just a size thing. I'm not sure if they would work as a flotation device to keep your head above water in the case of an airline crash over water, but that might be one reason to wear them. The Sony F1 below... I think its a stylish treatment of the open design concept. Does anyone think they're ugly?

f1s.jpg

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 53
The F-1s are NOT ugly, IMO - but they are large and attract attention with their nice ("pretty") looks
tongue.gif

Being mugged is NOT something that improves sound portably....

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 53
"Can be powered by portables!"

That makes the can portable for the geeks at HeadRoom (hey - they'd take that as a compliment, no?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back