survey: stupid looking phones and the people who wear them
Oct 12, 2001 at 12:43 PM Post #46 of 53
I also wear my Grado/allesandro inpublic,but my attitude is so cocky (my wife says I swagger
biggrin.gif
) that anyone that would look usually turns away as soon as I make eye contact
very_evil_smiley.gif

But that is when following more civilized pursuits.If doing a thing more outdoorsy (I know,i know,not a word.Well it is now !) such as mtn biking,canoeing,climbing,camping,hiking,I break out one of my pairs of KOSS/Optimus PRO-25s,discontinued now but once called the sportapro jrs.The other pair is at the computer.Ripped the leatherette padset off a paip of cans that came with an RCA PCDP.Put them over the very thin foam padset that came with the pro 35.Not too shabby
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:38 PM Post #47 of 53
M Rael, that's weird. The old black 325s I saw at the store were really stiff and had a round rod going through the leather headband. You could clearly see it bulging through the leather. It didn't flex much at all either, so the headphones seemed like they were always falling off my head. If I hold my Grado sr-60s by one side I can tug on the other and it's sort of springy. The 325s that I saw just held their shape permanently...are yours like that? I wonder if there were different versions of the old 325s?

Oct 12, 2001 at 4:05 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by jim
M Rael, that's weird. The old black 325s I saw at the store were really stiff and had a round rod going through the leather headband. You could clearly see it bulging through the leather. It didn't flex much at all either, so the headphones seemed like they were always falling off my head. If I hold my Grado sr-60s by one side I can tug on the other and it's sort of springy. The 325s that I saw just held their shape permanently...are yours like that? I wonder if there were different versions of the old 325s?

I can be more exact in the description:
embedded into each side of the plastic squares that have either the 'L' or the 'R' marked on them (the square that the chromed rod holding the driver assembly runs through) is a metal band. This metal band seems to be the only solid piece running beneath the headband leather. In any event there is no trace of a rod continuing where the leather stops... just the band. And theres no obvious lump in the leather made by a rod buried under it.
As far as differences between 325's, some people think the old ones are all aluminum just like the newer ones, but really, they are part plastic- one of the halves that make up the main driver case is plastic (on mine.) I'd like to hear more about what this rod was supposed to look like. Is it there in place of the band or is it there along with the band.
The plot thickens.

Oct 12, 2001 at 5:27 PM Post #49 of 53
the flat grados are just fine in public, but start wearing 325 or RS and you've got these huge things sticking out of your head. *bark*

But the thing I don't like about good headphones is that unless your haircut/style is extremely tolerant(or short), you end up with "dent-head". I could never bring myself to buy streetstyles, so I guess I'll have to shop around for etys or something.

Whats a good earbud that doesn't isolate? Its dangerous to be walking around and not able to hear that car coming....

Oct 13, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #50 of 53
I just wanted to mention the Jecklin Float before this thread completely dies off...they're funny looking even by electrostatic standards...

Oct 13, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

But the thing I don't like about good headphones is that unless your haircut/style is extremely tolerant(or short), you end up with "dent-head". I could never bring myself to buy streetstyles, so I guess I'll have to shop around for etys or something.

Whats a good earbud that doesn't isolate? Its dangerous to be walking around and not able to hear that car coming....

Sirwar: for portable use, give the Koss KSC-35 a try. No headband, but better sound than earbuds.

Oct 16, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #52 of 53
Gentlemen,

No question but that the ugliest "ear speakers" ever created were the Stax SR-Sigma's, supposed big brother and more expensive upgrade to the Lambda. They looked like two big plastic boxes strapped to your head - which is what they were. No matter what they sounded like you couldn't escape the thought that someone might actually see you and laugh, thus destroying any possible enjoyable effects.

Oct 17, 2001 at 3:24 PM Post #53 of 53
I dunno, it all depends on whatya look like i reckon.

And what you wear.

Put on a pair of sandals, checkered flannel shirt, corduroy (sp?)pants, grow ya hair long and the grado's cool stylish.

my younger brother is into whole club/rave scene, and with his taste in clothes and hairstyle, my koss ksc35 make him funky!
(wish he didn't use em tho)

i'd like to think i don't look funny with the ksc35 (only phones i wear when out and about) but a friend of mine first thought they were mini-earmuffs.

<me knocking on friend's front door>

"hi!"

"hey!.... is it cold outside?"

"Not really.... why?"

"How come you're wearing earmuffs?"

"These are HEADPHONES!!!"

<sigh>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back