Survey - Salas HV Reg for DIY Tube Amps
May 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
I received PCB's and all the parts and am going to experiement with these this weekend.   For tube SET amps on paper these look to be a bit of a revolution for headphone amps.   Basically you can build a SET tube amp with no electrolytics in the signal path, practically no capacitors in the signal path at all.  There is some concern if they can handle a headphone OPT inductive load.   Just curious if anyone here has tried these before I start building.

May 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 3
which version are you using? i'm thinking not the actual salas version, but quaong's remake on the massive red PCB? I got some too, looking for a way to use them. was thinking a mosfet/tube dac/headamp, so interested in your results.

May 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 3
Yes,  but these quaongs board look pretty good,  they seem identical to Salas's circuit.

I am going to start with my hybrid,  hoping the Voltage doesn't drift or oscillate and trip the E12.  For this I'm going to use the on-board SS rectifier/reg.

Then work my way up to a 5842/6c45pi SET-OPT (like Dsavitsk Single Ended Modular Headphone Amplifier) and maybe a DNA (Sonnet inspired 6H30), here I'll use a tube rectified CLC pre-filter.  If it doesn't work due to the inductive load of the OPT I can just add additional CRC filter and go un regulated.   Whats exciting to me is that this would be the first SET OPT headamp with the only cap in the signal path being a 1 UF on the output of the reg.  This would be a pretty big deal as well as the low output impedance of the regulator.  If this works,   winter project will be #01A + 71A DHT ultimate headphone amp :)

The hardest part is the heat sink,  but I found a guy on Ebay that cuts big aluminum heatsinks to size.  I just had him make one to fill the rear of my chassis which I calculate to be more than sufficient.   For the SET-OPT amp I want a classic wood chassis,  so the heatsink will be hidden in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back