Survey 2: What CDs are on your wishlist?
Mar 26, 2002 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Nicwix

Survey says....
confused.gif
The questions:1. Which 10 (or so) CDs are on at the top of your wishlist?
2. Why are they there (eg read reviews, heard samples, have MP3s, have other CD by same artist)?
3. How important is price in determining what you will buy?

See also Survey 1: What CDs have you bought recently?

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 21
Righteous Boy - I sing because of you

That's the only CD on my mind at the moment. Solo project of another Cardigans member... I'm hoping to hear some of it before I buy.

Price is quite important... if I'm not craving for the CD, I always give myself a hard time on finding cheaper places to buy.

Mar 27, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 21
Tapping the Vein - The Damage
- I've heard a lot of this live, this is going to be so cool. Highly recommended to fans of Garbage, Stabbing Westward, et al.

The new Sigur Ros album, whenever it comes out.

The new Small Furry Animals album, Rings Around the World - in surround!

KMFDM - Attak - industrial isn't dead!

Mar 27, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 21
tougher than tough reggae 4 cd set. A nearly comprehensive overview of the history of reggae. Since I'm just getting started cutting my reggae teeth, I thought this would be good to have to get an idea of the best artists and which ones struck my fancy.

Mar 27, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 21
Looking forward to

Karnataka Live DVD (just hope its better than the mostly autumn one)

Karnataka's new cd (don't know title yet!)

Arena - Contagion

Nightwish Centurys Child

Beto Vasquez project Infinity

Arjen (Aryeon) Lucassen's Star One project

Pendragon Acoustically Challenged

Galahad Year Zero (if that EVER comes out this year I'll be surprised
wink.gif
)

Price? Well thankfully I am a) working full time and b) living at home so it does mean that I can afford pretty much what I want, however I am cursed (blessed) with common sense and won't pay for anything that I think is overpriced. Example I REALLY want that Nightwish four track with the cover of Gary Moores Over the Hills and Far Away but as its about £13.00 in this country without p+p it aint gonna happen anytime soon. That said I can pretty much buy what I want and just use the same source more or less for the majority of the music.

Phew!! The one thing I AINT looking forward to is the Credit Card bill to pay for that little lot!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Nicwix
confused.gif
The questions:1. Which 10 (or so) CDs are on at the top of your wishlist?
2. Why are they there (eg read reviews, heard samples, have MP3s, have other CD by same artist)?
3. How important is price in determining what you will buy?

See also Survey 1: What CDs have you bought recently?

[size=xx-small]1. The CDs that are on the top of my wishlist are: [/size]
213 - The Reunion
Devin The Dude - Just Tryin To Live
Dr. Dre - Detox
Eminem - The Eminem Show
Hittman - Hitt's Big Score
King T - Thy Kingdom Come
King Tee - The King Strikes
Knoc-Turn'al - Knoc's Landin'
N.W.A. - Not Theez Niggaz Again
Rakim - Oh My God
Royce Da 5'9" - Rock City
Truth Hurts - Thruthfully Speaking
Xzibit - Man Vs. Machine

[size=xx-small]2. Why I want these CDs: [/size]
Because Dr. Dre produces songs on every one of those CDs, (and, because I have CDs by those same artists).

[size=xx-small]3. How important is the price? [/size]
Well, it depends on how many songs the CD has on it, and, it depends on how much I want the CD; only once have I paid more than $15 for a single CD (Blink-182's "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" cost me close to $20!).

[size=xx-small]I like taking surveys!
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Apr 15, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 21
Coltrane - The rest of his Impulse! catalog
smily_headphones1.gif
(actually....the box set....)

Hmm....too much, actually, to cover in a single post.

This is really hard.......

Apr 15, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 21
I listen to almost nothing but Metal and Classical, so I have two wish lists, one for each, and a bonus one :

Metal Wish List :

Twilight Ophera - Shadows Embrace the Dark
Hecate Enthroned - Dark Requiems
Hecate Enthroned - The Slaughter Of Innocence
Elend - The Umbersun
Darkthrone - Plaguewielder
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Darkthrone - Ravishing Grimness
Mental Horror - Proclaiming Vengeance

The three Venom re-issues and also albums by Arcturus, Ulver, and Sigh.

Classical Wish List:

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (Telarc)
Goreki: symphony 3 "symphony of sorrowful songs" (Naxos)
Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde (Reference Recordings)
Mahler: Symphony No. 9 (Telarc)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 & Polonaise (Telarc)
Flamenco Passion (First Impressions)
Gypsy Flamenco (Chesky)
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5; Coriolan Overture - Chicago Symphony/Fritz Reiner - JVC JMCXR-0005
Beethoven - Cello Sonatas & Variations (Jacqueline du pre) Wagner Overtures (Telarc)

And finally BINAURAL CDS:
OPERA FANTASIES - oboe/harp/piano C-13 $24
THE MIST!, by Stephen King CD, D-2 $15

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 21
Well my brother has lots of CDs that like but don't own yet. For example...

The entire Pink Floyd catalog and the entire Led Zepplin catalog. Also lots of Miles Davis and other classic stuff that everyone should own.

Otherwise my wishlist includes:

The Microphones - It was Hot, We Stayed in the Water
The Microphones - The Glow, Part 2
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
Mekons - Fear and Whiskey
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
-The entire Steely Dan catalog

I'm also interested in some Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Circulatory System, Yo La Tengo, Cannibal Ox, Mercury Rev, Giant Sand, and Eels.

My wishlist also includes blank spaces for other albums that I will undoubtedly feel the need to own.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 21
Pendragon - Acoustically Challenged. Pendragon rocks, and their acoustic versions are really excellent. should be out somewhere this month.

Landmarq is still on my wishlist, all of their albums (mainly cause Tracy's voice, and Damian Wilson is one of my fav. male vocalists too). if I decide to order them, it'll take one or two months to get here, and 'll be paying above average amounts of money for them...

Pain Of Salvation - Perfect Element pt1. should be excellent, but I decided to get some more laidback music (Pink Floyd and Chroma Key), so maybe later this month.

I'm also very interested in Porcupine Tree, and I need to fill my Marillion collection, and there's some Arena albums missing.

as for your last question, money is always important. if I can get more cheaper CDs, I'll go for that option. but if I set my mind to get a certain CD, money is not important (theres only one reliable source for prog around here anyway). Like getting the Remastered+Bonus Disc version of a Marillion album while I can get the original for less than half the price. a collector has to make sacrifices sometimes
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 21
The top of my CD wish list right now is finding a recording of Verdi's Il Trovatore -- I can't get it out of my head. It's there because I saw the Marx Brothers film "A Night at the Opera," and you can laugh now.

Apr 16, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 21
CDs I want:
Hunt for Red October Soundtrack - love the mens chorus singing the Russian anthems

Pops in Space - there's about three disks in this series and I use to have them, but they are in the possession of a former buisness partner and I plan to let them there for the sake of my ulcer.

Steve Taylor: Now the Truth Can Be Told - Two disks with his best stuff (Jesus Rock 'n Roll)

Larry Carlton: Last Nite - had the tape. Live recording from a little SF jazz club called the Baked Potato. Won a grammy.

Roy Orbison's Greatest Hits (DCC Gold CD) - every review I've read said that this was the best sounding release of his music on CD (more thanks due to the engineering than the gold cd)

Phil Keaggy: Music to Paint By series & Premium Jams - one of my favorite guitarists.

And anything on KR's classical wish list
biggrin.gif

LPs I want:

Phil Keaggy: Getting Closer - more Jesus Rock 'n Roll

RCA LSC 2795: Canteloube. Songs of the Auvergne. Rachmaninoff, Serge. Vocalise. Villa-Lobos, Hector. Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. Anna Moffo, soprano. American Symphony. Leopold Stokowski, conductor. - Probably the best recording of Vocalise ever done.

RDA-29: Readers Digest Romantic Rachmaninoff Boxed Set

(I don't know why I enjoy Russian and East European composers so much - but I do)

Money is always a factor and I sort of make it a game to find them at a bargain price. If I get to the point that I make more than $50 an hour, I'll probably stop bargain hunting, and just by the first ones I see. Otherwise $10 per disk (LP or CD and including tax & shipping) is about as high as I usually go. With patience, I've found a LOT of stuff that I like for $1-2ea (Hot Springs is Flea Market Heaven.)

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Re: Again, I mostly just listen to rap and hip-hop, so...

Just like me a year ago.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by HairWuzEre
[size=xx-small]1. The CDs that are on the top of my wishlist are: [/size]

....Xzibit - Man Vs. Machine

Thanks for letting me know about this, I was wondering when his next album would be out. (June 30th)

Quote:

...only once have I paid more than $15 for a single CD (Blink-182's "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" cost me close to $20!).

Nice, I got it for $10 CDN, on the first day of release. In other words, I'm a lucky person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back