Surround sound system receiver
Aug 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jad5122

Head-Fier
I dont know if headfi is the place to post this but I am buying a surround sound system. I already have the speakers, but I just need to find a good receiver. It needs to be compatible with my astro mixamp. So it needs an optical output. I would also like it to be affordable. So I shop on eBay and amazon so recommendations for those sites would be great. Thanks.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
I dont know if headfi is the place to post this but I am buying a surround sound system. I already have the speakers, but I just need to find a good receiver. It needs to be compatible with my astro mixamp. So it needs an optical output. I would also like it to be affordable. So I shop on eBay and amazon so recommendations for those sites would be great. Thanks.

Receivers really have no need for optical output, so I'm assuming it's rare to find a receiver with optical output.
Wondering why you need an Astro mix-amp hooked up to a receiver?

Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own Headphone Surround Sound tech.
So you could plug headphones straight into the Yamaha receiver.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Just on a general note, do any receivers even have optical output?

If they do, liable to be very expensive on a high end receiver because of such a specialized feature.

Look for other solutions to your hookup situation. For example, how do you hook up the Astro mixamp now to the 360? Can't you run HDMI to the receiver and then switch over to whatever output you are using for the mixamp when you need it? Sorry. I know nothing about Xboxes. I have a PS3. :D

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah it gets really complicated. But I think there is a work around if I use an optical splitter. So, I don't need that optical output anymore, but do you have any recommendations for an affordable receiver anyways?

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Well I just bought a onkyo 5300 5.1 speaker set with sub included for 80 bucks online with no receiver. Now I just need to buy a receiver and speaker wire :)

Amazon has a used Yamaha RX-671 A/V receiver for $215 (new is currently $440).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004QR56SE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 15
Wow I feel really stupid. That speaker set I bid on didn't even include the subwoofer. So now I need a whole surround system. Thanks for the help guys I will start a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back