Surround sound, pc games and headphones
Nov 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BladeHeat

New Head-Fier
Hey there mates!

I have a couple of questions regarding surround sound in pc games using headphones.

I own a X-Fi Xtreme music. I know it can output DTS / DD-Live / EAX / CMSS3D.

What I don't know is :

- It can only do surround sound through its SPDIF connection? If I stick my headphones straight out of the headphone jack of the sound card, would it still work?
- Could I add a (external) DAC to that setup ( Digital out ---> external DAC) and still get the surround sound?
- How about and amp ? Would adding an amp screw with the surround sound? I'm guessing no?
biggrin.gif

- Do you guys think that the xtreme music could power a Beyer DT150 ( 250 ohms ) by itself?

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 2
I can answer part of your question.
Your soundcard gives you virtual surround with cmss3d if you use some headphones out of it.
In terms of power and amp I can't say much, as I don't know the dt150.

You can add a dac, but if you want surround you need something that as a dolby decoder than can give you dolby headphones, but you better keep your cmss3d, virtual for virtual you don't need to change there are fans of both virtual surrounds.

You can add an amp to your rig if you want and if you want your headphones are not being properly driven.

Quote:
Hey there mates!

I have a couple of questions regarding surround sound in pc games using headphones.

I own a X-Fi Xtreme music. I know it can output DTS / DD-Live / EAX / CMSS3D.

What I don't know is :

- It can only do surround sound through its SPDIF connection? If I stick my headphones straight out of the headphone jack of the sound card, would it still work?
- Could I add a (external) DAC to that setup ( Digital out ---> external DAC) and still get the surround sound?
- How about and amp ? Would adding an amp screw with the surround sound? I'm guessing no?
biggrin.gif

- Do you guys think that the xtreme music could power a Beyer DT150 ( 250 ohms ) by itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back