Surround sound on IEM's?
Jul 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

solaris7

New Head-Fier
Ok at the risk of sounding really stupid here goes:
I am setting up a home theater in my living room and here is my probable setup:
Roku player ->( HDMI )-> HDTV -> (digital audio out) -> 5.1 stereo receiver -> IEM ( Senn IE80)

So my question is will I get surround sound on my ie80's?

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Does your receiver support Dolby Headphone, Silent Cinema, or other surround sound processing technology? Either way, you'll (obviously) only be getting 2 channel stereo, but DH, SC, etc. do a pretty good job of simulating 5.1 surround sound.

Also, make sure your TV is outputting the full 5.1 on the optical out, as I've heard about some TV's reducing it to 2.1.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 6
The receiver I am planning to get is the Yamaha RX-V373. I have decided that it makes more sense to connect everything to the receiver and then connect the receiver to the TV. So I will be connecting the IEM's to the receiver, will I get decent surround sound?

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Simulated surround sound on full-size headphones is one thing. On IEMs? I don't think you'd achieve the desired effect. I'd stick with stereo; surround sound processing is a fancy word for a simple digital EQ setting.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 6
IEMs are too 'in your ear' to actually create any surround effect.
Even if you use stuff like SRS or such effects, chances are the surround effect will be better on headphones.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
IEMs are too 'in your ear' to actually create any surround effect.
Even if you use stuff like SRS or such effects, chances are the surround effect will be better on headphones.

Agree. Tried before with dolby surround on f2k with iem and headphones. IMHO, headphones are a better choice at playing with DSPs.
I think it's due to the distance between the drivers and the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back