Surround sound in headphones
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zodler

Head-Fier
I have a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar. This is one of the very few soundbars in the world that has headphone output jack. Normally I have DAC/Amps that I connect my headphone to those. Recently I did some tests and it's a revelation. I decided to connect my headphones to my soundbar. When you connect a headphone, you get 2 options. Surround and Stereo.

I have always avoided surround sound in headphones. I have always listened to stereo with my Sennheiser HD800s. So I was very surprised to find out that the Surround option on my soundbar gives a much more satisfying experience for my headphone.

This is for every kind of program, even for music to my surprise. Even if the source is stereo and not real surround. I use the youtube app on my TV and I suppose that it has only 2 channel audio, when watching music concerts, they sound a lot better and more spatial in Surround than Stereo with my HD800s. Everything comes alive and when I switch to Stereo, it sounds flat.

So my question is, what are your experiences with surround effect using your normal stereo headsets?

Are there any portable DAC/Amps that can create a great surround effect for headphones? Not just good for gaming but for everything. Movies, Music concerts.

I have searched a little and I have seen
- ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro TR
- Sennheiser GSX 1000
- Sound BlasterX G6
- iFi Audio xDSD - iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label (I see these have a 3D option, I don't know if it's like surround)

I already have several DACs mojo, fiio q5... I'm wondering if any of the above can create a surround experience as good as YSP-2500. I'm interested to also hear from people who have heard YSP-2500 with a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back