1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Surround sound in headphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by Zodler, Dec 4, 2018.
  1. Zodler
    I have a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar. This is one of the very few soundbars in the world that has headphone output jack. Normally I have DAC/Amps that I connect my headphone to those. Recently I did some tests and it's a revelation. I decided to connect my headphones to my soundbar. When you connect a headphone, you get 2 options. Surround and Stereo.

I have always avoided surround sound in headphones. I have always listened to stereo with my Sennheiser HD800s. So I was very surprised to find out that the Surround option on my soundbar gives a much more satisfying experience for my headphone.

This is for every kind of program, even for music to my surprise. Even if the source is stereo and not real surround. I use the youtube app on my TV and I suppose that it has only 2 channel audio, when watching music concerts, they sound a lot better and more spatial in Surround than Stereo with my HD800s. Everything comes alive and when I switch to Stereo, it sounds flat.

So my question is, what are your experiences with surround effect using your normal stereo headsets?

Are there any portable DAC/Amps that can create a great surround effect for headphones? Not just good for gaming but for everything. Movies, Music concerts.

I have searched a little and I have seen
    - ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro TR
    - Sennheiser GSX 1000
    - Sound BlasterX G6
    - iFi Audio xDSD - iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label (I see these have a 3D option, I don't know if it's like surround)

I already have several DACs mojo, fiio q5... I'm wondering if any of the above can create a surround experience as good as YSP-2500. I'm interested to also hear from people who have heard YSP-2500 with a headphone.