Surround sound for headphones for movies?
Mar 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MichaelJames99

100+ Head-Fier
Is anyone using an external surround processor or just a DAC?  

I may use this with my laptop as well, but more thinking of a permanent solution for my home theater system..

So  if you want the best sound watching movie from their headphones?! I have a pair of Grado RS1, which are really good on music. I am in the market for something to allow me to hear surround sound thru them. Primarily using a DirectTV Genie box that has optical coax out, HDMI and RCA stereo. I also have a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 headphone amp I can use.   So what are you using to accomplish this? Surround sound....

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 4
  Is anyone using an external surround processor or just a DAC?  

I may use this with my laptop as well, but more thinking of a permanent solution for my home theater system..

So  if you want the best sound watching movie from their headphones?! I have a pair of Grado RS1, which are really good on music. I am in the market for something to allow me to hear surround sound thru them. Primarily using a DirectTV Genie box that has optical coax out, HDMI and RCA stereo. I also have a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 headphone amp I can use.   So what are you using to accomplish this? Surround sound....

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 13 (the basic version). It has a setting for headphones which uses their version of Dolby Headphone. I find it very effective. The basic version is all I need because I stream all my video and movies from my hard disc. I used to have an external processor for that but it is simply not necessary. I just run everything through my dac and amp to my headphones and it all works. No need for any extra boxes.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 4
But if I am not using a computer at all, what would I use?  I am going from Direct TV genie receiver to the heaphones

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 4
  But if I am not using a computer at all, what would I use?  I am going from Direct TV genie receiver to the heaphones

Sorry I don't have that setup so I can't comment. These days it is really simple to insert a computer into any home entertainment system. I guess that's why Cyberlink and others make a good living.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back