Surround sound dac for ciem?
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nopc0de

New Head-Fier
hello guys thanks for reading my thread,

I want to game with my ciems (uniquemelody miracles) on my computer but I get lots of static noise (especially when I'm in-game).

So I'm thinking of buying an external dac just to be sure.
Now if I wanted virtual surround sound, will I need a gaming dac?
could you recommend me one?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 4
So I'm thinking of buying an external dac just to be sure.
Now if I wanted virtual surround sound, will I need a gaming dac?
could you recommend me one?

Actually the term is "USB soundcard" - the difference is that a "soundcard" would have a DSP chip (which does the surround simulation, among other effects) on top of a DAC chip.

I'm using an Asus Xonar U3 now but the Sound Blaster E5 looks interesting. Also comes with APT-X BT so you don't need to unhook it from the PC if you want to just listen and use a tablet or smartphone as a source. Also has a volume knob, something I personally prefer over buttons.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Actually the term is "USB soundcard" - the difference is that a "soundcard" would have a DSP chip (which does the surround simulation, among other effects) on top of a DAC chip.

I'm using an Asus Xonar U3 now but the Sound Blaster E5 looks interesting. Also comes with APT-X BT so you don't need to unhook it from the PC if you want to just listen and use a tablet or smartphone as a source. Also has a volume knob, something I personally prefer over buttons.

Can't I do the surround simulation on my pc and then dac it on an external device if I use optical pc -> dac?

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Can't I do the surround simulation on my pc and then dac it on an external device if I use optical pc -> dac?

You can. What I replied to was your use of "gaming DAC," because if you will use the DSP on the motherboard and then send the signal out via SPDIF, then technically any DAC with an SPDIF input can be used for gaming along with headphone sound processing. Just make sure your motherboard has such features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back