Surprized by what I read
Oct 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shaffer

Headphoneus Supremus
A few words about myself: I'm 50, 30+ years in audio, worked in the industry, owned SOTA high-performance systems for almost 2 decades; though, my current system is a bit more modest, and I simply cannot understand the (real) basis for many sonic assessments on the forum. I'm not a headphone guy. Not really. I bought a set of cans, loved the experience, bought another and a couple of amps, and here I am. The bulk of my listening is via a speaker-driven system (not sure how to phrase it in a site-appropriate manner).

Let me give an example as to what I mean regarding the thread topic: I own (headphone-wise) DT990pros and DT880/600, a LDIII with upgraded tubes and a BCL clone. Frankly, both amps pail in comparison to the internal headamp in my Oppo105, but that's kinda beside the point. To my ears, the LDIII is a fairly mediocre performer - limited extension, opaque presentation, lack of true detail, limited dynamics, blah, blah, blah. Similarly, the DT990pro don't sound bright to me at all, as I often read on the forum. If anything, they're fairly laid-back. I can go on, but I think you get the picture.  In all honesty, I came here for some guidance, but cannot trust much of what I see based on my own listening experience. So, what's the issue? Are many members here using substandard source material? Do folks not have even the most basic, decent amplifiers? I understand that much of the population is young, which I love on a personal level, and the enthusiasm is truly addictive, but the sonic assessments can be puzzling to say the least. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 7
  A few words about myself: I'm 50, 30+ years in audio, worked in the industry, owned SOTA high-performance systems for almost 2 decades; though, my current system is a bit more modest, and I simply cannot understand the (real) basis for many sonic assessments on the forum. I'm not a headphone guy. Not really. I bought a set of cans, loved the experience, bought another and a couple of amps, and here I am. The bulk of my listening is via a speaker-driven system (not sure how to phrase it in a site-appropriate manner).

Let me give an example as to what I mean regarding the thread topic: I own (headphone-wise) DT990pros and DT880/600, a LDIII with upgraded tubes and a BCL clone. Frankly, both amps pail in comparison to the internal headamp in my Oppo105, but that's kinda beside the point. To my ears, the LDIII is a fairly mediocre performer - limited extension, opaque presentation, lack of true detail, limited dynamics, blah, blah, blah. Similarly, the DT990pro don't sound bright to me at all, as I often read on the forum. If anything, they're fairly laid-back. I can go on, but I think you get the picture.  In all honesty, I came here for some guidance, but cannot trust much of what I see based on my own listening experience. So, what's the issue? Are many members here using substandard source material? Do folks not have even the most basic, decent amplifiers? I understand that much of the population is young, which I love on a personal level, and the enthusiasm is truly addictive, but the sonic assessments can be puzzling to say the least. 

You would maybe enjoy going to a couple Head-Fi meets.

Even there though you will find that everyone has their own favorite sound signature that they like. Also different members are all writing in the forum only from their own personal experience and everyone is at their own level and has their own ideas.

There is a lot to learn here, and a lot of information to take with a grain of salt. Going to a meet is the most efficient way of finding more realistic concepts in action and finding out if you can relate with the more unorthodox ideas.

There has always been extreme nonsense in HI/Fi. This place is no different.
biggrin.gif

I remember going to my first meets and hearing very thought out systems with really detailed highs and no lows. I soon realized that everyone has different ideas and folks are coming from many different directions here.

The best part was seeing the CD group that didn't ever wander over to where the LPs were being spun. It is what it is.

Keep an open mind and wade across the mud for awhile you'll find there are some pretty cool and amazing enthusiasts here.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Sounds like a typical day on head-fi. You hear Blue, I hear Red, and we both think the guy that hears Green is an idiot.
wink.gif

You're right; everything is relative. As such, subjective evaluations are comparative and it's the comparisons that compelled me to start the thread. This is very different than a statement of preference, For example, I (personally) don't like c-j amplifiers. Even the Premier series. Totally hate their ss amps. Would never own one, would never have one in my system. Ironically, this is based on listening to quite a few in my system, but I digress .Even though the sound is not to my personal taste, the qualities one hears are congruent with everyone else's. It's the value placed on those qualities that differs. Again, sonic description vs preference. Big difference.

My aim is not to indite, but to better understand the POV of the community.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 7
  You would maybe enjoy going to a couple Head-Fi meets.

Even there though you will find that everyone has their own favorite sound signature that they like. Also different members are all writing in the forum only from their own personal experience and everyone is at their own level and has their own ideas.

There is a lot to learn here, and a lot of information to take with a grain of salt. Going to a meet is the most efficient way of finding more realistic concepts in action and finding out if you can relate with the more unorthodox ideas.

There has always been extreme nonsense in HI/Fi. This place is no different.
biggrin.gif

I remember going to my first meets and hearing very thought out systems with really detailed highs and no lows. I soon realized that everyone has different ideas and folks are coming from many different directions here.

The best part was seeing the CD group that didn't ever wander over to where the LPs were being spun. It is what it is.

Keep an open mind and wade across the mud for awhile you'll find there are some pretty cool and amazing enthusiasts here.

Thank you for the kind and helpful post. I will look into attending a meet. Frankly, I didn't know such a thing existed and it's very encouraging to hear there's analog involved. Perhaps I could even help.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 7
There are many folks who would (vehemently) say that your strong feelings of preference between SS amps is unusual, and that two SS amps that both measure flat would impart very little audible difference in the sound. But, that's a discussion for the Sound Science forum - and I'm not a zealot one way or the other - I'm just pointing out that the rest of the audiophile world is no more in agreement about anything than this forum is.

You just missed the largest headphone show in the country: CanJam

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 7

There are many folks who would (vehemently) say that your strong feelings of preference between SS amps is unusual, and that two SS amps that both measure flat would impart very little audible difference in the sound. But, that's a discussion for the Sound Science forum - and I'm not a zealot one way or the other - I'm just pointing out that the rest of the audiophile world is no more in agreement about anything than this forum is.

You just missed the largest headphone show in the country: CanJam

An objective perspective is far more complicated than measures flat=same. This isn't to say that most who cite so-called objective data are aware of the complexity that exists - paradoxical, I know - whether they like the idea or not, or even comprehending the steps in the Scientific Method. You're right; it's a topic for another discussion and frankly another forum. I can refer you, if you like. This discussion is about subjective findings, just to keep things on track.

Edit: typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back