surprisingly good bands that we probably havent heard of
Sep 13, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
Genre: Metal, I call it "Metal Symphony"
Band: Savatage
comments: While not truly unknown, playing for 21 years! This is my absolutely favorite band but I find very few people ever heard of them. The music, well its heavy, very well written, awesome guitars, great classical piano, orchestral, some time like rock opera or symphony, art-rock influenced.

Thanks, Dariusf. I checked your links and they sound very good... well-worth having a deeper listening - I'll look for their CDs. Thanks again....
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 46
This list isn't going to make linear sense, but I'm sorry, you asked:

The LaSalle Quartet
gruppo di improvvisazione nuova consonanza
Iva Bittova
Barbara Morgenstern (with 2nd keyboardist)
Bela Bartok, Joseph Szigeti and Benny Goodman playing _Contrasts_
(yes, that's a real recording)
Murcof
snd
Asa Chang & Junray
Suttcliffe Jugend
Memorandum
Hermann & Kleine
Cluster
Bondage Fruit
Brighter Death Now
Porter Ricks (vintage 1997 but still neglected)
Kontakte der Jugend
Leak
Eardrum
Kyoto Jazz Massive
I Am Joe Bloggs's Randomly-EQ'd Dongle Key
Any Twelve People Who Own Gamelons

(Mum doesn't need our help, nor does Lali Puna. This is a statement of fact, not a put-down of anyone's taste.)

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 46
ArChaos

Glad you like it, I have been listening to this band since 1987
smily_headphones1.gif
and their "Hall of the Mountain King" album and hit track of the same name. Their older stuff is allot heavier. The middle releases starting with "Streets" in 91 got a bit softer, more musical. They definitely evolved. If you think they sound good you should hear them live. They are unbelievable. Seen them last year in Chicago and was lucky to have a back stage pass and did an interview with them after the show. It was awesome
wink.gif

Also check out their side project "Trans Siberian Orchestra" the album "Christmas Eve & Other Stories" is really good. http://www.trans-siberian.com/ They have quite a few Christmas shows all over the place playing with big Symphonies. Classical symphony and Heavy Metal guitars, now what more do you need
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you check out www.savatage.com

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

dariusf said...

Also check out their side project "Trans Siberian Orchestra" the album "Christmas Eve & Other Stories" is really good.

Oh, is that who does Trans-Siberian Orchestra? Well, no wonder I ended up liking their stuff! Let me put in a recommendation for their "Beethoven's Last Night" album as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 46
genre: hard to define.. punk rock but messed up
band name: Melt-Banana
key songs: Spathic!!, Seesaw Semiology, Lost in Mirror
comments: from Tokyo, Japan, website is www.parkcity.ne.jp/~mltbanan

genre: visual rock
band name: X Japan
key songs: kurenai, rusty nail, forever love
comments: very popular in japan, unfortunately split, and guitarist died.

genre: rock
band name: tadpole
key songs: alright, not just rock 'n' roll
comments: probably hard to find outside of NZ. tadpole.co.nz

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
ArChaos

Glad you like it, I have been listening to this band since 1987
smily_headphones1.gif
and their "Hall of the Mountain King" album and hit track of the same name. Their older stuff is allot heavier. The middle releases starting with "Streets" in 91 got a bit softer, more musical. They definitely evolved. If you think they sound good you should hear them live. They are unbelievable. Seen them last year in Chicago and was lucky to have a back stage pass and did an interview with them after the show. It was awesome
wink.gif

Also check out their side project "Trans Siberian Orchestra" the album "Christmas Eve & Other Stories" is really good. http://www.trans-siberian.com/ They have quite a few Christmas shows all over the place playing with big Symphonies. Classical symphony and Heavy Metal guitars, now what more do you need
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you check out www.savatage.com

thanks,dariusf... If you enjoy symphonic metal a band deffinitelly worth checking is THERION - They have many good albums - one of my favorites is "Secret of the Runes" - an epic concept album based on norwegian mythology.(see also Thely, Vovin, Lepaca Kliffoth, Deggial )

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 46
Genre: mathrock/emotional
Artist: roadside monument
Album: i am the day of current taste
Key Songs: all 8
notes: my favorite album of all time. this band defines rock for me

Genre: mathrock/spazzrock
Artist: HELLA
Album: hold your horse is
Key Songs: republic of rough and ready
notes: most amazing instrumental music in the universe. one guitar player and one drummer, combining to produce music so rythmically intricate it borders on the impossible.
website: www.hellaband.com. you can download a couple mp3s there. just remember that they do it all faster in concert.

Sep 19, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #23 of 46
Genre: trance-punk
Band: Pond
Songs: I just have the self titled CD (from 1993) but Pond has some nice things going on. If the link below works try the song 'Filler' ..the song sample ends with a weird metalic sound repeated over the main guitar riff. It doesnt sound like much but if you have good headphones and the moment is right, it takes the song feeling to an entirely different place. At least on the CD.

http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID.../itemid=333126

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
thanks,dariusf... If you enjoy symphonic metal a band deffinitelly worth checking is THERION - They have many good albums - one of my favorites is "Secret of the Runes" - an epic concept album based on norwegian mythology.(see also Thely, Vovin, Lepaca Kliffoth, Deggial )

Thanks, I will definitely check it out

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #25 of 46
Sep 27, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 46
Guys and gals, if you're posting song titles or albums that you recommend, post a link to some audio clips on CDNow or on their official web site. That way, we can really give it a quick listen to see if its our bag.

Sep 27, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #27 of 46
Genre: jazz-rock / acid-jazz
Artist: Grassy Knoll
Album: Grassy Knoll
samples: http://www.artistdirect.com/store/ar...214232,00.html

notes: quite interesting, dark/acid jazz, gives you a sense of dark atmosphere, screaming sounds, could be very annoying to some and very enjoyable to others
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
If you enjoy symphonic metal a band deffinitelly worth checking is THERION

Very interesting sound. Will definitely give it a longer listen. Got to find some MP3s before I commit to purchasing the CD

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 46
genre: Japanese indie-rock with a little punk and a great voice
Name: Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her
Album: Dying for Seagulls
Songs of Note: Pink Soda, I Feel My Heart Move, A Guitar for Me and Milk for her, A Shotgun and me, Angel, Seventeen, down to mexico.

This is my absolute favorite band that nobody has ever heard of and they're rapidly becoming one of my favorite bands period. Since i discovered them four years ago i have not met a single person who has heard of this band, despite the fact that i'm currently living in Japan! I'm not sure if they have any samples but www.darla.com has some of their albums. They've toured the us several times with the likes of Modest Mouse and Mogwai. Their music is really amazing and really hard to define. If by slim chance you have heard of them pm me and let me know so i don't start thinking i'm crazy.

Genre: Kindercore Hip-Hop
Name:Kitty Craft
Album: Beats and Breaks from the Flower Patch
Songs of Note: Half-Court Press, Locked Groove, I'm Chocolate You're Oatmeal.

Kitty Craft is a girl from Vancouver (not sure which side of the border) by the name of Pamela Valfer. She's a DJ, and a pretty good one. It's hard to call her music "hip-hop" cause it's so laid back and even the most ardent hip-hop-hater will raise no objection. Beats and Breaks... was recorded live at a club called the Flower Patch and it is my favorite album, ever. The only place i've ever seen her mentioned is on Seventeen.com lol
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Punslayer
genre: Jpanese indie-rock with a little punk and a great voice
Name: Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her
Album: Dying for Seagulls

This is my absolute favorite band that nobody has ever heard of and they're rapidly becoming one of my favorite bands period. Since i discovered them four years ago i have not met a single person who has heard of this band, despite the fact that i'm currently living in Japan!

thanks, Punslayer!

i downloaded an mp3 of these guys called count 0 number 1 and it's pretty cool. sounds kinda like 1977 punk rock -- only with a japanese flavor. oh, and this isn't your father's shonen knife either!
biggrin.gif

they sounded cool enough that i just ordered Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her's only US release called red talk. it's a compilation disc just like Dying for Seagulls.

the name Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her is taken from the XTC album the big express (1984). these guys definitely don't sound like XTC however.
biggrin.gif

B0000666BV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back