Surprised by the UE900 controversies, are there better armature IEMs for >$400?? Looking for IEMs that provide detailed, lively sound with an immersive soundstage.
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

whiskeyandmusic

New Head-Fier
I had credit at the Apple Store, so I went in to buy some new earbuds. I was about to buy the Bowers and Wilkins C5s, but I ended up talking to the guy there who seemed to know a good amount about headphones. He explained the difference between armature and dynamic sets, and he raved about how amazing the UE900s are. He basically put it like this: for $179, the C5s are good, but if I wanted the best sound quality without getting into $400+ levels of money, I should go with the UE900s.

I started researching them online, and came across mostly amazing reviews, but also a few reservations about their build quality and ability to handle vocal tracks as well as some of the competition.

I ended up here, reading a surprising amount of negative comments about the UE900s. There are a few threads that compare the UE900s to the Triple Fi 10s, and it seems like the preference for the TF10s is almost universal. 

Here's what I'm looking for: an IEM with the best sound quality I can get for less than $400. I love the idea of an immersive soundstage, where I can hear the tiniest details and separations of the instruments. I listen to a lot of music with gorgeous vocals, like the Irish singer Lisa Hannigan or the English band Elbow. But I also listen to heavier rock like Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails, or hip hop like Brother Ali and Wu Tang. Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, The Roots, Outkast, Paul Simon, Alt-J and Frightened Rabbit are a few more examples of my taste in music. 

This is my on-the-go set, so I want something that sounds great plugged into an iPhone. I prefer warmer, detailed sounds with excellent bass over anything cold, tinny or flat. I want to hear the brushes on a cymbal and the perfect timbre of vocal heavy tracks, as well grooves and beats with some weight and backbone. 

Comfort and isolation are also important. I listen to my earbuds a lot when I'm falling asleep or on public transportation. In the past I've had the Monster Turbine Pro Golds. They were excellent with comfort and isolation, but the build quality was terrible and the sound quality, while good, fell short of the jaw-dropping sound I'm looking for. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

BA or dynamic. One is not better than the other.Just different.

from 180$ to 400$...thats a huge vast difference in price and choice.

I guess at that price you can get any IEM. I suggest reading Jokers IEM thread. You can compare his reviews of the IEMs you have had with the other IEMS you have not heard before for a good description of the sound. 

Famous triple BA are the 535s, As an alternative to UE900. I love the Customerserivice of Logitech and no problem buying any of their products. The UE900 can be quite cheaper than other triples.

Anyway the TF10 is extremely popular because a lot of guys got them really cheap a while back. Seems extremely uncomfortable to wear to me.

PS I am looking the Audio technicas IEM setup. Looks so so nice.There is a mega review thread here. 

PPS I have Qjays Dual BAs as my normal IEM. But when I want a beat...nothing beats my Hisound wooduo 2. Dynamic drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back