Surprised by Nokia N81 soundquality!
Jan 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
well,

I got a new phone yesterday due to the fact that I lengthened my contract with vodafone.

I picked up a Nokia N81. Special features that I liked were among other the WiFi and 3.5 mm headphone jack.

When I git home I couldn't resist and placed some of my favo music on it right away. Plugged in my Atrio's and was absolutely blown away by the soundquality. It's really good. It's on par with the iPod touch's headphone out, just some minor differences. It's no contest for my MZ-RH1, but that's logical.

I dunno if this is one of the Nokia's with a dedicated audio chip, but it's a true musical wonder. It beats all the Walkman branded phones hands down and two finger in the nose!!
biggrin.gif

I've heard many phones of different brands, and as far as music is concerned;
Samsung sucks. Just no contest.
Motorola is okay, but too sluggish and bugy.
Sonyericsson was my favorite, but the last models are very disappointing!
Nokia is the top!, They implement 3.5mm jacks into their phones now and the sound is on par with Apple's latest ipod offerings, so that's very good work done by the engineers at nokia!

I'll be hooking it up to my GoVibe this afternoon and see how my Ultrasones like the N81.

greetz

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 13
yes, they are getting there!

It's just a very decent output the nokia can produce. It sounds clean, full bodied and neutral.

Juts awsome.

I find myself using my N81 more then my ipod since it's more compact.

Nokia phones should be the Head-Fiers choice!!
As a headfier mmyself, I find this the best phone ever to be made. along with nokias with the same feature.

this phone has my full respect in this regard, as silly as it sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

greetz

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, good, but not very good.
I have N81 for a couple of months, I also had COWON D2, and still have Sony A818. They both sound MUCH MUCH better then N81, even on cheap headphones. I guess on a good cans the difference will be even bigger.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 13
that's just plain logical!

I mean, I compared it to the headphone out of an ipod touch! Sony A818 and Cowon D2 perform much much better then the itouch!
I only wanted to say that the N81 just has a very listenable headphone output. That's all.

So for those using the HP out of their ipods, N81 should be pretty darn decent!

BTW; I tested it with my Atrio's. I think that's pretty decent stuff. Their no cans, but it could drive my Ultrasone's pretty good too. It definately has more output power then iTouch!

And remember that it's a phone. But the multimedia functions are well thought out.

greetz

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 13
I recently got my first 3.5mm Stereo jack phone, the N82.
Same experience as you. Put some Fav music on it and plugged in my Sennheiser HD-650's. Amazing sound from a phone. Even drives them at 70 - 80% amp setting with quite adequate vol.

I now have some Autdio Technical ATH ANC7's on order for train use.

I must plug it into my Class A triode fully differential push pull Tube amp / ProAc speakers and see how it compares to my Teac T1 and DAC :)

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I use my w810i a little bit for music. But it kills the battery. Normally it would last most of a week. But a few hours of music and its low within a day. So I find it more convient to use a Flash stick MP3 player most of the time. I get longer away from recharging then.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Guys, N96 is coming in Q3... And it is MUCH better than the current Nokia offerings, it has the N91's audio circuits, but upgraded even further. B&O Serenata is the only phone with better sound reproduction than N91/N91 8gb nowadays, but thats gonna change in a few months...

I've started saving already...
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, N96 is coming in Q3... And it is MUCH better than the current Nokia offerings, it has the N91's audio circuits, but upgraded even further. B&O Serenata is the only phone with better sound reproduction than N91/N91 8gb nowadays, but thats gonna change in a few months...

I've started saving already...
biggrin.gif

Where did you read that they are using the N91 audio design on the N96? I would really like to know coming from 3 different N95s.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 13
N82 + Shure E2C is good.....bass is full, good clarity, sound stage is wide.

only things are we need to tweak the EQ a bit, otherwise treble will be to high and causing ear fatigue.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Had a Nokia N95 and not even angels themselves singing out the headphone jack would make me buy another nokia phone.
buggy
laggy
cuts off calls
sends 20 texts at once
waits all day to drop 30 texts from varying times of the day in my inbox
sat nav as much use as directions from stevie wonder!!
why anyone loves nokia phones despite the fact that they trot out the same rubbish time and again is beyond me.
besides other than the iphone(which is basically an ipod with a phone lumped in) a phone is built from ground up to be a phone first and twenty other varying bit parts later.
If i want a music player i buy one then build round that ....
If want a camera ditto
Just because it has a 3.5mm headphone out and isnt quite as bad as some sony ericsson walkman phones doesnt make it a truly great portable device.
It makes it , at best an acceptable stand in for a dedicated music player which also happens to ring and cut off your music invariably just as are getting into a song.
Sorry rant over

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 13
Just found out, N82 + Shure E2C losing some sounds. for example : during many instruments playing at the same time.

I CAN NOT or only BARELY hear some of the instruments which I CAN hear it on SONY HD NW5 and Samsung YP U3 with the same earphone !!

Pls anyone let me know if I need to change my earphone or N82 is lacking of dynamics ?

I use MP3 192 Kbps on all devices..

NW HD5 I when bass enhancer is turned full +3, it is overshadowing mid and highs.

While Samsung YP U3, is lacking clarity, bass is a bit light and the overall sound is not wide enough compared to N82

Anyone can advise if Cowon D2 is really that great ??

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back