Surprised by iPod classic SQ!
Dec 24, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I just recieved a 80 gig iPod classic for christmas (In finland we open our presents on the 24th) and all I wanted to say is that out of the headphone out (with my grado sr-80s) the sound is suprisingly good! I really don't know what all the fuss about bad SQ has been about. I also just ordered a dock-mini cable from microshar
wink.gif
[edit - Did not order yet]

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 43
I also just upgraded to the ipod classic, coming from a gigabeat s, and while i prefer the gigabeat with headphones from the headphone jack (not by much), the ipod shines with the lineout and my ibasso p2. However the ipod does sound better from the headphone jack in my car and fedex truck (both having kicker amps and infinity kappa speakers
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 43
Actually I decided to wait for tomorrow before buying a LOD, the microshar products sure are looking tempting. I am also concidering the bling bling dock by ALO and similairy priced LOD's from Qables. My price range is >100$

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 43
I also got that cheap 12 lod off ebay, it's surprisingly good. Not geat by any stretch of the word, but definitely worth the $12. I also have the bling bling lod on the way, so I'll be back when that gets here to post comparrisons

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 43
For 80 gigs you can't beat it, a good clean, detailed headphone out and the ability to use an amp at a great price, (at least here in the states).

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 43
The sound is good but not quite as good as that on the IPOD 5 and 5.5 video. They used a cheaper chip (Wolson on the old; cheaper Cirrus on the new). Of course, bypassing the IPOD circuitry with a line-out and good amp will do the trick. IMHO, you're doing it the right way.

And the battery/space improvement is welcome. Especially the better battery.

It remains a very nice product. And now it's even a good buy!

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is good but not quite as good as that on the IPOD 5 and 5.5 video. They used a cheaper chip (Wolson on the old; cheaper Cirrus on the new). Of course, bypassing the IPOD circuitry with a line-out and good amp will do the trick. IMHO, you're doing it the right way.

And the battery/space improvement is welcome. Especially the better battery.

It remains a very nice product. And now it's even a good buy!

Are you sure that it is cheaper? Most people seems to like the classic more than the 5.5

And to use lineout won't bypass the internal dac.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 43
"Are you sure that it is cheaper? Most people seems to like the classic more than the 5.5."

Oh absolutely, the new iPod classics are a complete disappointment. I just picked up a 160GB version and I am about to return it. There really wasn't a huge difference between 192K mp3 play back and Apple lossless on this player and the iPod (playing Apple lossless) couldn't even compete with the sound from my iRiver PMP-140 playing 192K mp3s.

It is a very sad day when a 192K mp3 on one player has more micro-dynamics than a lossless version on another player. There is no way around the absolute poor job that the Cirrus DAC does. It is rather heart breaking, 160GB of storage just really is too good to be true.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 43
I have not had a chance to compare the new classic with the iMod, but since Red Wine refuses to mod the new classics, strictly because of the sub-par DAC, I have a distinct feeling that the iMod will easily best the new classic. The older gen iPods best the new classics out of the box even before a mod.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 43
Vinnie (redwineaudio) did some comparasons between the classic, 5.5 , and the imod. He stated that the sound on the classic was superior to the standard 5.5 and did not need mods.He did say it does not sound as good as the Imod so it falls inbetween the 5.5, 5.0 and the Imod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back