Surprise! Live performances that unexpectedly blew you away
Jan 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
Some of my favourite memories are of concerts where I did not know much or any of the performers' music going in, and where I pledged to buy their entire catalog on my way out. The most striking example of this would be the Sam Bush Band, whom I first saw in 2002 at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. I had never heard of Sam Bush, and had no expectations whatsoever. By the end of the night, after having my mind blown wide open, I was a die-hard fan of progressive bluegrass, and as a direct result, I have bought a huge pile of CDs and LPs, not to mention travelled many thousands of kilometers for concerts.

Other artists/groups whose live performances have made me say "wow, that was unexpectedly awesome and I am now and forever a fan of their music":

Michelle Shocked
Gamma Ray
Shooglenifty
John Hiatt
Edgar Meyer
Martin Sexton
Xavier Rudd

What are your favourite live music surprises?

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 50
I went to see Janis Joplin at Curtis Hickson Hall in Tampa sometime in 1970 and an unknown performer, to me, was opening for Joplin. B.B. King just blew everyone away with his performance.

The best part of the show was when Joplin was giving the cops a hard time for harassing a kid walking around the front row. They arrested her for public profanity.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 50
Mike Oldfield on the Five Miles Out tour. Bought the tickets on a whim. Drove from Baltimore to Phily. Go lost trying to find the Tower Theater. Missed the first song, but it still one of the best concerts I've ever seen. He only did 5 dates in North America on that tour. Pierre Morlein on percussion was great.

The first time I saw Zappa in 79. Turned me into a Zappa freak.

Steve Morse playing for something like 30 people in a room in the student union at Univ of Md. I was already familiar with him but the small crowd and small room was unreal. The audience sat on the floor.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 50
The one I always cite is Joan Jett. The first time I saw her was in the '80s between R.E.M. and the Police, the two bands I showed up for. She obliterated them. In all fairness, at the time R.E.M. was a young band and got better, but the Police headlined, and I left the concert pretty astonished. I still don't know much about Jett's albums, but every time I've recommended her live show to someone they've come back with exactly the same story. She can really rock and roll.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 50
I saw Parts and Labor at Death By Audio last October. Hadn't really even heard of them before the show, was just waiting around for the last band, Double Dagger, to play.

Somehow everything was just perfect, the crowd density, temperature and humidity, lighting and music all melded so well. Bought a couple of the CDs and have been a huge fan since.

to a lesser extent also became a fan of Giant Drag seeing them open for Pretty Girls Make Graves.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 50
I'd have to say Sky Cries Mary. They're a little known band from Seattle who emerged at the height of the grunge craze (they're not grunge though) and got lost in the shuffle.

I saw them on a bill with Shriekback in 1993 I believe, and was totally blown away. They disbanded in 2000 but got back together a few years ago and recently released a new album.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 50
In my case it was Kenny G. I wasn't a fan, but nearly 20 years ago when my wife and I were dating, she really wanted to go, so I took her.

The show was surprisingly very good. Kenny is quite a show man, talking with the audience and telling jokes. At one point he brought out this "strange looking" small sax. The sound wasn't nearly as full as his "regular" instrument, but he managed to make it sound good. He stops after a couple of songs, puts the instrument into a small box -- turns out it was a toy plastic sax -- and hands it to a young girl that was in the audience.

He went on to play two more songs walking in through the isles of Pine Knob while we stood on our chairs to let him by.

I'm still not a great fan of the music, but I am a fan of the artist. A very good time!

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 50
I can think of two:

The first was Elvis Costello...WITHOUT the Attractions. Just he and his accoustic guitar (with some background effects) back in 1989. I figured the show was going to be a huge disappointment...I was wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also saw Sting (the wife is a fan) with Annie Lennox as opening act. WOW, can that lady SING!! I was blown away, without a doubt. Sting made a mistake when he chose her as opening act, because he seemed flat and lifeless after her performance. The biggest mistake was a duet - Together - where she came back onstage. UGH!...he sounded weak. Was much better when we saw him with The Police the last time they came around.

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 50
I can think of another. The first time I saw Michael Hedges. In the early 80s I had moved to DC from Baltimore. My friends in Baltimore kept saying I had to come up and see this amazing guitarist who was giving free concerts in Columbia. By the time I finally did get to see him, I had to pay $5 and was completely blown away. I was also kicking myself for skipping about 10 free concerts.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 50
John Fogerty a year to two ago. Not sure why I was surprised. He opened for Mellencamp and as far as I'm concerned blew him away. I have been a fan of his but I really didn't expect him to show such a high energy level.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 50
My only experience with this was the band Mono from Japan. Saw them at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA a few years back.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 50
1975: Saw Rush on the "Fly By Night" tour just after Neil Peart joined the band. Great show! Cheap Trick opened for them.

In over 200 concerts, from a pure musicianship/technical standpoint, Dave Weckl Band just a few years back was probably the best. Just incredible.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 50
I was actually surprised by my friends brother's band. They've all got real jobs and play local bars for some extra cash now and then. I had heard a few of their songs, all ridiculous (as in waaaay over the top insanity) rap, and figured I might as well go see them live.

What I got was one of the best performances I have ever seen. I knew two of them were Berklee graduates--but they could really play. Two acoustic guitars, an acoustic bass, mandolin, and a few random instruments thrown in (beer-bottle slide, harmonica, bongos, etc.) jamming for about two hours.

The crowd demanded an encore. The band gave them Felis Navidad. It was August.

Really, one of the more amazing shows I have ever been to. I'd give a band name but it changes by the show. That night they were introduced as JC and the Dees. If they had a discography I would buy it.

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the end of the night, after having my mind blown wide open, I was a die-hard fan of progressive bluegrass, and as a direct result, I have bought a huge pile of CDs and LPs, not to mention travelled many thousands of kilometers for concerts.

One band I saw recently that was very enjoyable was Dry Branch Fire Squad. If you get a chance to see them, take it. The band leader talks as much as the group plays, but he is very funny. If you don't have any CDs and want to check them out, buy a live one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back