Surprise! I got some HF-1 by "accident". What to do with 'em?
Nov 11, 2005 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

In the heyday of HF-1 hype I ordered some HF-1 at Todd's. After sobering up, I cancelle the order the next day, after I received the ordering information. I didn't get any confirmation of the cancellation, but figured they'd probably be too busy to do much email exchange back then. I also didn't read my credit card statement last month, as I didn't do much other shopping. I also didn't follow the impression threads at all, because I decided my MS-2 are all Grado I will ever need. And I still think so.

At any rate. I know have some genuine HF-1 here at the local customs office, which I didn't take possession of...yet. Customs fee is a rather hefty 30 Euro.

What would you do:

A) Refuse the parcel and have it sent back straight to Todd's. This would save me customs fee plus postage back to the States, totalling about 45 Euro.

B) Accept the parcel, pay the duties, A/B the HF-1 vs. the MS-2, and sell one of the two later on.

C) Accept the parcel, pay the duties and pass them directly onto some other headfier who came late to the party, with full reimbursement of my expenses, grand totalling to about 210 Euro considering last month's exchange rates, s&h, customs.

What to do?

M.

confused.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 31
If Todd wouldn't be charged, I'd choose either (A) or (C). C if you're feeling like a niceguy
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 31
If Todd wouldn't be charged I'd choose A. That way he can still sell them (they're still sealed right?) and with any luck it won't cost someone any custom fees. If they live in the US it certainly won't.
I'd call Todd and ask if he really can resell them for the full price first though. I know there's a 30 day money back garantee but if it's gonna cost Todd you might aswell do C and everybody's happy.

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 31
Use secret option (D): give the HF-1 to me and I'll cancel my order for #405 (if Todd has not send it/charged me yet). So noone has to pay extra-shipping fees, I dont have to wait, and someone else can buy mine from Todd.

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by morbo667
Use secret option (D): give the HF-1 to me and I'll cancel my order for #405 (if Todd has not send it/charged me yet). So noone has to pay extra-shipping fees, I dont have to wait, and someone else can buy mine from Todd.

i totally second that.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 31
Sell the MS-2 and be happy about "accidentally" becoming part of a very restricted headphone elite...
rs1smile.gif

Even with the customs, the HF-1 are still really, really good value for what you would have to pay.
Unless you are on a terribly tight budget right now, that's what I'd suggest.

I ordered mine after a night at the pub too, will pay customs too, feeling guilty about spending so much money too... But it's a once in a lifetime deal. I'd feel far worse if I hadn't ordered them!

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 31
D!

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 31
I'd go for option B.

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 31
So consensus is I should pick them up and either keep or pass them along to another head-fier?

The point is I really don't need rock cans. I had my PPX6cg7 upgraded to a 6sn7 SLAM for more transparency and air to better cope with symphonies and live concert recordings. And that's also where I hoppe the W5000 will excel.

Do you think I will find people out there interested in taking them from me for the original price after a careful burn-in of 100 hrs or so, so I can give them a quick audition and find out what the fuzz is about?

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

A) Refuse the parcel and have it sent back straight to Todd's. This would save me customs fee plus postage back to the States, totalling about 45 Euro.

This is no option except Todd explicitely voted to cover the shipment costs in case the parcel is refused, and that's unlikely.
The customs authority won't pay for shipment, instead they will offer to destroy it.
This is no bad joke, it's reality.Been there, suffered from that (it was a tube amp from Thailand).

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 31
Cosmo, sorry to hear what happened to your amp. Damned bureaucrats!
mad.gif

I was a bit confused when I saw the parcel at the customs office today and told the guys that this is something I cancelled my order for long ago and I would need time to think this over etc, possibly I'd send it back. They did't seem to have particular problem with that option. Granted, we did't talk about who would cover postage, but destroying the cans was not mentioned either.

I guess if it turns out to be true what you are saying, it's a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back