Surge Protector / Power Stabilizer
Feb 15, 2007 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.
I am looking for something to provide me with a good amount of outputs for all the electronics, and protect them in the process. Since this is to be used with all of my audio equipment I also want it to clean up the signal for better sound (especially given that I have a tube amplifier coming that will be running out of it). I am trying to get it to be around $100 (more or less, as long as it is good).

Currently Monster HP Pro 1000 caught my eye:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Any opinions or better suggestions?

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 10
There are several options available in this line. Here is what I got:

www.brickwall.com , an audiophile version that has 20 amp internals with 15 amp connections and wire. The regular version should be fine if you want to save a little.

There was a recent thread about power conditioners just a week ago. Do a search on these and you will find lots of info. You can go into mult-thousand dollar power regenerators if you want to but I think the Brickwall does what it does for a good price and it does not consume itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.
I am looking for something to provide me with a good amount of outputs for all the electronics, and protect them in the process. Since this is to be used with all of my audio equipment I also want it to clean up the signal for better sound (especially given that I have a tube amplifier coming that will be running out of it). I am trying to get it to be around $100 (more or less, as long as it is good).

Currently Monster HP Pro 1000 caught my eye:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Any opinions or better suggestions?

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 10
is250hg.jpg

Isolation Transformer - $168 for 250W - $242 for 500W and $379 for 1000W

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 10
^ Oh man, now THAT is sexy. (the Tripp-lite) Even is faraday shielded. Probably performs better than a lot of the audiophile power conditioners out there. Definitely better than that monster one.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 10
This is very interesting. I wonder how the tripp-lite compete with Monster AVS 2000. (ebay used for sub 500)

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 10
The components are probably better or at least comparable. Guess someone will have to test it out!

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The components are probably better or at least comparable. Guess someone will have to test it out!

this is the thing - how do you really know how well these conditioners work? i have a brickwall for my video components and my big screen TV and use an Adcom for my house server. i can't really tell you how well they've been performing. i've had zero problems with either of them - that's all i can say definitively.

as for a UPS - i love my APC unit. i had a brief blackout and was able to continue on with my PC without a hint of interruption which was waaaaaay cool! (this is my first UPS) i also love how it'll automatically do a proper Windows shut down after a certain amount of time if i'm not around.

i just bought a Zero Surge for my headphone amps. i believe they are the OEM for Brickwall. i'm curious if it will resolve the hum i'm hearing from my Darkvoice.

lot of verbiage but probably 0 useful info!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

^ Oh man, now THAT is sexy. (the Tripp-lite) Even is faraday shielded. Probably performs better than a lot of the audiophile power conditioners out there. Definitely better than that monster one.

An isolation transformer is quite a bit more than a power conditioner.

A power conditioner is a surge protector + a circuit that keeps the voltage steady. If the power company supplies 111v, the device allows only 110.

An isolation transformer looks like this as far as internal wires

Wall =====3] [E========= To equipment

That is to say, 110V comes in to the isolation transformer to a winding represented by the 3, and heads back out to the wall.

The electro magnetic field allows the wall power, 3, to be fed into, E, without electrically connecting the two circuits (they are isolated).

AC passes through, however all DC signals are blocked.

Besides being a surge suppressor and line conditioner, an isolation transformer eliminates ground loops, ground line noise, interference and equipment generated odd harmonics.

Standard in recording studios.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the info! I only remember my professor talking briefly about isolation transformers.

From what I understand, isolation transformers are also much safer to work when you are doing DIY mains voltages right?

Sorry to get off topic.

How would an isolation transformer compare with say a standard ground loop isolator set-up of a resistor and cap in parallel? I guess it would be muuuch better.

The reason I ask is I'm getting some nasty ground loop noise from my other components and I'm considering just doing some quick solder work to throw in isolators in all my diy projects.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Thanks for the info! I only remember my professor talking briefly about isolation transformers.

From what I understand, isolation transformers are also much safer to work when you are doing DIY mains voltages right?

Sorry to get off topic.

How would an isolation transformer compare with say a standard ground loop isolator set-up of a resistor and cap in parallel? I guess it would be muuuch better.

The reason I ask is I'm getting some nasty ground loop noise from my other components and I'm considering just doing some quick solder work to throw in isolators in all my diy projects.

Right, an isolation transformer electrically decouples the mains AC power from any equipment that is connected to the transformer so there is no possibility for current to flow from the live terminal on the IT side to the ground. It's like DC. Touch the live no problem, touch both...well.

As far as ground loops, audio and video manufacturers design their equipment independently so there is going to be some incompatibilities. From the manufacturer's standpoint this is not a problem since operational safety is not compromised. However this is not good enough for modern day AV-systems i.e. ground loop interference problems.

Since there is no absolute ground and and in addition to the manufacturer issues, the ground wires between wall sockets and power company transformers are not perfect conductors, why not think about an isolation transformer?

All the recording studios have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back