Surge Protection
Oct 10, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DrewWinters

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a surge protector that will not degrade sound quality. Power conditioning is a bonus. Budget is $300 USD or less.

My system right now is a Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi + PPX3 + HD650's. In the somewhat near future (i.e. the next year or so) this system will be growing to include a multi-channel Home Theater system. My intention is not a stack of mono-channel rack amps or anything like that, but a more modest single five-channel amp or receiver.

So my thoughts are, at the moment, to get a standard PS Audio UO for the source and PPX3 and then add a High-current UO when I get the speaker amp (eventually plugging the TV and DVD into the Standard and the PPX3 and the speaker amp into the High-current). Of course, I'd probably also have to get a third one for the sub...

If I got a single unit, like a Panamax, it would be cheaper and easier to mount (i.e. just set it on a shelf) but I would not be able to seperate digital and analog (analogue?) on seperate conditioners like I hear is important.

Help please! I have NO experience with audio power conditioners, only power strip surge protectors.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 5
How many outlets do you need? I have the high current UO and plug my CDP and DAC into the UO, and the amp into the wall. (I believe PS Audio recommends NOT plugging the amp and source into the same UO.) The UO reduces the noise floor noticeably. Also, note that many say the high current UO also sounds better even with low current equipment than the low current model UO. You can get the high current UO on audiogon for around $300. Of course, if you need more than two outlets on the power device, in addition to the other one remaining in the wall, you'd have to consider something else.

Oct 10, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
They do recommend plugging the source and amp into different conditioners - but for performance reasons rather than safety ones. I bet it would sound just fine until I up-sized the system and got a second model. At the moment I only need two plugs. Later on I will need more, but the system hasn't been decided on yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back