Surge protection
Jun 16, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 25
i also recommend good homeowners insurance....

i have heard a couple of horror stories about people not being able to collect on the surge protector's "insurance"...

best wishes

Russ

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 25
Thats one thing I definetly have. Home Insurance isn't expensive (especially compared to the cost of having a audio hobby) and there really is no excuse for not having it, especially if you happen to have a audio hobby
biggrin.gif

Wordsworth

Jun 17, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 25
My power went out the other day and I started worrying about this. It was not during a storm, but I wonder if it could have damaged my cd player although i perceive no damage. I think the power just dropped out, rather than surged. Is that okay?

Can surges occur without storms?

Jun 17, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 25
power drop-outs or "brownouts" don't cause any damage to audio components....

i would be concerned about the same occurances with your computer..... usually not hardware damage, but possible software problems can occur by brownouts....

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 25
Hmm. Wow, there is so much to learn! Good thing I haven't ordered the surge protectors for my new home theatre system yet. I was actually going to go with APC Surge Protectors.
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...e=displaybasic
The Professional SurgeArrest 8 Outlet w/Tel&Coax 120V. Hmmm.

I went to futureshop, and they had these monster surge protectors.. and the sales guy was doing this HUGE sales pitch.. and blah blah blah blah.. soo i didn't really trust him. i figured APC was a pretty good company. Has anyone heard how APC stacks up (surge protector wise) with these other brands?

Hmm, series surge protector eh? Hmm. i was checking out the links. Thanks! But, the surge protectors are quite pricy.. i mean.. is it REALLY worth that much money.. hmm i'll have to think about this.. hahah lol, IF i got one of those surge protectors for my computer.. it'd probably be worth MORE than my computer (of course.. having the data / not wasting time cuz of screwd up surge protection would be invaluable).. but like just price wise.. lol

derek

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Hmm, series surge protector eh? Hmm. i was checking out the links. Thanks! But, the surge protectors are quite pricy.. i mean.. is it REALLY worth that much money.. hmm i'll have to think about this.. hahah lol, IF i got one of those surge protectors for my computer.. it'd probably be worth MORE than my computer (of course.. having the data / not wasting time cuz of screwd up surge protection would be invaluable).. but like just price wise.. lol

for alot of us, the $300 or so for surge protection is pretty cheap compared to what we have invested in equipment...

myself.... i've built up a system through purchasing a mixture of new and used equipment over the past 3 years... it is worth over twice of what i paid for it.... not easily replaceable....

i did have a system destroyed by lightning about 10 years ago... i had a small "surge protector" that i had gotten from radio shack... the surge destroyed that so-called protector and 4 of my 6 components....

and for my computer....the hardware is easy to replace...but the data is irreplaceable!

the series mode protectors do stop all surges...that initial investment is very low for what it actually does!!!!!

www.surgex.com

Quote:

Has anyone heard how APC stacks up (surge protector wise) with these other brands?

APC has a great reputation for computer applications, but generally is not used for audio/video applications.....

it is important to make sure that your surge protection device does not limit current in any way.... large amplifiers can have their performance suffer if they do not receive all the power that they need.... alot of the APC units limit the current that they provide... i.e. 15 amps in and only 10 to 12 amps out....

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 25
LOL, RussKon.. you seem like a surgex salesman. You should start charging them commision. I'm looking into the brands mentioned.. surgex, brickwall, and zerosurge.

SurgeX seems more like for high-grade consumers. Perhaps for use professionally, as they were designed for rackmounting.

However, Brickwall and zerosurge protectors look almost identical. Does anyone know if there are any fundamental differences between these three companies?

derek

Jun 17, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 25
Does anyone else happened to have had a chance to AB APC SurgeProtector Pro8TV mentioned before with other power conditioners? I have the Pro8TV but don't dare to use raw output from my outlets to test the sonic differences
eek.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 25
"you seem like a surgex salesman. You should start charging them commision. I'm looking into the brands mentioned.. surgex, brickwall, and zerosurge."

sorry.... i really do sell surge-x as one of the 75 lines of commercial audio/video that we carry....

not trying to sell you anything on here though....

all three of the companies that i have listed have almost identical specs.... and all 3 offer surge protectors in the same configurations.... set on the floor small boxes as well as rackmount versions....

best wishes!

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 25
This thread has been quite useful to me, at least. RussKon's enthusiasm for the series mode suppressors led me to investigate further. This technology became well known after I did my experiments many years ago. Since I live in FL, I have always wanted lightening protection, but did not think there was a sonically neutral solution. I did some research, read reviews, compared specs on all 3 product lines, and...

I just ordered my 4th Brickwall! (1 for each computer, 1 for the home theater rig & 1 for the headphone rig). Not only do these appear to do a great job on surge supression, they actually improve the sound! I am using the PW2RAUD (20 amp, 2 outlet) for the audio rigs, and PW2R15 for the computers. I selected Brickwall because they had the exact same specs and test results relative to surge suppression, but had more aggresive filtering (lower cutoff frequency) and were specifically reviewed for audio. The other products may do just as good a job - I just couldn't find confirmation. The Brickwall's were cheaper than the SurgeX also based on the distributor I called.

www.sellcom.com has really good prices on the Brickwall units. They are drop shipped from the Price Wheeler factory in NJ. I received the first 3 within a week of ordering.

Thanks for the lead, RussKon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back