Supplementing Sennheiser HD598
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BrianovichIV

Head-Fier
So, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598s that I really like, but I'd like to get a pair of headphones with a complementary sound signature. For example, while I like the open, airy, bright sound of the 598s, sometimes I'm in the mood for a little more bass, or a warmer sound.

What is a good recommendation for a complementary headphone under $200? I think I'd prefer a closed back for variety. I'm kind of interested in Grados, and I think the SR80s would be fun but I'm worried they're a step down sound-wise.

I listen to rock and some jazz, classic and modern. My digital system is just a Hifiberry streamer to a little Bravo tube amp. My analog setup is a Pioneer turntable into an ART DJ preamp and a Schiit Magni 2 headphone amp.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 2
So, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598s that I really like, but I'd like to get a pair of headphones with a complementary sound signature. For example, while I like the open, airy, bright sound of the 598s, sometimes I'm in the mood for a little more bass, or a warmer sound.

What is a good recommendation for a complementary headphone under $200? I think I'd prefer a closed back for variety. I'm kind of interested in Grados, and I think the SR80s would be fun but I'm worried they're a step down sound-wise.

I listen to rock and some jazz, classic and modern. My digital system is just a Hifiberry streamer to a little Bravo tube amp. My analog setup is a Pioneer turntable into an ART DJ preamp and a Schiit Magni 2 headphone amp.
I don't think a Grado is going to satisfy your signature wants, given what they are. You might look into a K550/553 and see if you like the sound. It is conceivable one of those could work for you. If you have the opportunity, you might also listen to an HD598CS and see what you think. It's a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back