SuperPro DAC707-USB Help
Feb 15, 2008 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SuperNothing

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up the SuperPro as my first DAC and I am having a little trouble getting it to work. I plugged it into the computer through the USB and it is powered on. Both the red Power light and Green Normal light are on but sound is not being routed through the DAC and still coming out of the speakers. I am using the DAC on a Macbook Pro 17". Any ideas?

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up the SuperPro as my first DAC and I am having a little trouble getting it to work. I plugged it into the computer through the USB and it is powered on. Both the red Power light and Green Normal light are on but sound is not being routed through the DAC and still coming out of the speakers. I am using the DAC on a Macbook Pro 17". Any ideas?

SuperNothing

You have to go to System Preferences and then choose Sound and then choose C-Media USB headphone.

Turn your volume down. It's loud.

Tell me what you think of it.

Cheers

Stewart

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewart572 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SuperNothing

You have to go to System Preferences and then choose Sound and then choose C-Media USB headphone.

Turn your volume down. It's loud.

Tell me what you think of it.

Cheers

Stewart

Thanks for the tip! It is working perfectly now. I did have to turn down the volume through iTunes in order to get a listenable volume through my amp and have the channels match which is disappointing as it means I won't be getting bit-perfect audio but it is worth it to save my hearing and it still sounds better than the built in sound card.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 7
You should be able to turn your compyter volume well down and leave the iTunes volume at max. I can on my iMac. IMO, the sound improves substantially with burn-in, too.

Cheers

Stewart

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 7
When I turned the volume down on the computer itself it didn't effect the sound coming out but only when I turned down the iTunes volume. Also after awhile I started to notice some pretty severe clipping that I wasn't experiencing using my computer without the DAC. The DAC had gotten pretty hot and I have heard that it gets hot when using the 24v adapter it was sent with so I am looking to pick up the 12v adapter. However does anyone know if the heating problem could cause the clipping?

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I noticed both the heat and the clipping on my SuperPRO. Interestingly, it only gets hot when the USB connection is plugged in. When it's powered up but without USB plugged in it stays cool to the touch...

I don't have an optical out at the moment, so I can't try running it through that. If you do, it might be worth a shot.

To resolve the clipping, I turned the volume in the software (Amarok - I'm on Linux) way down. On Linux, it bypasses the system mixer too, so changing the system volume has no effect. I run 25% volume in Amarok and haven't been having problems with clipping.

I don't know what changing to a 12V power adapter would do. In general, my understanding is that it's best to run at the highest allowable voltage... If you experiment I'd be very interested in hearing your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back