Supermono Vs. PPA?
Oct 7, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 31
I think the SR71 is closer to the HR2 in overall sound than the XR7 (at least the opamps [whichever they were, though I think once was stock] I've heard with them). And that closer wasn't subtle and I wasn't the only one that heard it. So I actually wouldn't call it a "step up" from the SR71. Just bigger and more expensive.
biggrin.gif

It is more customizable though, so like the PPA, you may be able to find your sound/equipment synergy through modifications.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 31
In truth, if Xin says that the Supermono will best a $700 amp, then he's undoubtedly correct. There are a lot of crappy overpriced amps out there.
tongue.gif

But keep in mind that DIY amps and the more popular amps here are also some of the best bargains in audio! Just because the Supermono might beat a $700, run-of-the-mill commercial amp doesn't necessarily mean that it will beat a $350 PPA or a $350 SR71.

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Just because the Supermono might beat a $700, run-of-the-mill commercial amp doesn't necessarily mean that it will beat a $350 PPA or a $350 SR71.

Excelent point! I hadn't really thought of that. The PPA has also been said to beat much more expensive amps...

In other words, I guess it's a matter of "which" $700 we're talking about, the DIY $700 or the commercial $700. And in this case I think that if it's the commercial $700 then Xin's claim is pretty reasonable.

Oct 7, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Excelent point! I hadn't really thought of that. The PPA has also been said to beat much more expensive amps...

In other words, I guess it's a matter of "which" $700 we're talking about, the DIY $700 or the commercial $700. And in this case I think that if it's the commercial $700 then Xin's claim is pretty reasonable.

The only problem is his direct competition is the SR71 which is a commercial amp. It's on the small business side but it is not DIY. So on the initial tests it's as good or almost as good as a $395 amp.

Oct 8, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
KenW - you haven't missed a thing. This thread, while fun, isn't based on anyone's actual comparison of a PPA to a Supermono.

The SM hasn't been officially released, but there are some head-fi'ers who have placed orders, including me.
biggrin.gif

Thanks. I hope you or one of the other members will post impressions of the mono as soon as you can. I'm holding off on the sr-71 til the mono hits the streets. Would love to think the workmanship and performance at that price can compete with Ray's offering but I do love his stuff. Keep us posted.

Ken

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 31
Lou,

You won't be disappointed with the amp. The diamond buffer really refine the PPA and push it to another level. The improvement will be more dramatic than swapting op-amp. You will hear plenty of details and layers on your favorite tracks. The extensions will be better and seperation of instrument will also improve. I can't comment on any of Ray's amps, but honestly, I might have just to buy one and try it out to see myself. It is very difficult to compare things at the meet, and the best solution is to buy the unit and audition it in your environment. As for Supermono, I think it should be a great amp, but I don't think it could match the stock PPA or SR-71.

PUrk

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 31
Hi All:

I have been comparing two of the basic versions of the SuperMono this week. One with the "big" power caps and one with smaller caps. There is quite a difference in the sound quality. The differences are not subtle, and readily apparent.

In short, the amp with the big caps is more detailed, warmer, and richer sounding with tighter bass and greater transparency. This is using the same opamps and buffers in both. (OPA637/ x3 stacked)

OPA627BP's in my XP-7 currently sound best to me in that amp. In a one on one comparison, the SM's sound is more detailed, rich and full with better Bass detail than the XP-7 with 627's. IMO, the SM is the little amp that can, regardless of the size and weight differential between the two.

It's been some time since I've heard a PPA,but i have heard two versions in my lifetime, one was one of the first ever built and by KurtW and Morsel. The second was Iamdone's PPA (by HeadSave?) When I heard them I remember that I thought they had quite a similar sound signature.

When Iamdone and I were comparing the XP-7 and his PPA with Diamond Buffer we thought they were fairly close sounding even though the sound signatures were different.

I haven't heard a PPA with OPA 627's or 637's, but projecting out, I think the SM will be right there with the PPA and even surpassing it in some ways as it does with the XP-7.

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 31
Bob,

Some have posted that they felt the sr-71 was superior to the xp-7. Wonder if you can lay your hands on an sr-71 for a direct comparison? Also, do you expect to have access to a mono with any of the upgrades?

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

KenW

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 31
I would prefer not to reveal my ignorance (though it seems I'm forced to do so on a pretty regular basis), but I have a newbie type question. If I ordered the mid-level Supermono (which I believe has everything except the four switches on the front), does that come with the the "big caps" as described by bobjew?

As I earlier said on another post, I did order the OPA637s with 3 stacked buffers.

Oct 8, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 31
Ken, rider:

Maybe I can get with blessingx in the near future and do a new comparison with his SR-71 and his version of the SM. He has the one with the "features" package with the 4 switches, don't know which caps. Rbx has been quite busy with a new job, though, so I can't say when.

The Big caps are physically bigger and make it difficult to change out the buffers and opamps (but possible). The large caps butte right up to the edge of the buffers whereas the smaller caps allow room to get a pair of tweezers in to lift the Browndog adapters straight out and lessening the chances of breaking off the legs of the Browndogs.

Oct 8, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #27 of 31
bobjew - thanks for the info. Do you happen to know which size caps are included with which particular Supermono? I ordered the intermediate (which appears identical to the maxed out except w/o the four switches).

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjew
Ken, rider:

Maybe I can get with blessingx in the near future and do a new comparison with his SR-71 and his version of the SM. He has the one with the "features" package with the 4 switches, don't know which caps. Rbx has been quite busy with a new job, though, I so can't say when.

The Big caps are physically bigger and make it difficult to change out the buffers and opamps (but possible). The large caps butte right up to the edge of the buffers whereas the smaller caps allow room to get a pair of tweezers in to lift the Browndog adapters straight out and lessening the chances of breaking off the legs of the Browndogs.

okay thks, I got mine now and it sure sounds very good. Cheers

Oct 9, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 31
rider - congratulations on the arrival of the SM! Are you the first head-fi'er to actually receive a production model? We look forward to your sharing your impressions!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back