SuperMono fever!
Sep 23, 2004 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
I can't wait for this thing to be released!!

My question is...To the best of anyone's knowledge, would this be the ultimate amp for us Ety 4P users?

• inexpensive
• great build
• great quality
• and the ability to turn my P to an S without having to buy a cable or the S.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 6
I, too, am eagerly awaiting its release. On Xin's website, his last post indicates release in "early October". Though I don't use Etys, there seems to be a general consensus (IIRC) that Xin specifically has Etys in mind when he designs his amps.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton
I can't wait for this thing to be released!!

My question is...To the best of anyone's knowledge, would this be the ultimate amp for us Ety 4P users?

• inexpensive
• great build
• great quality
• and the ability to turn my P to an S without having to buy a cable or the S.

I don't know about "inexpensive." I thought the base model was around $200, plus extra for the P->S, bass boost, more buffers, etc. A model I would want will likely clock in at much higher $.

Still, I've got a pair of Ety 4P's that are crying for the SuperMono...

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 6
I tested a stacked buffered beta version of the SuperMono with all the featured decked out... it's about $300 or so when all that's said and done. So I will also strike a line through the "inexpensive" claim. The starting price can be expected to be about $200, as opposed to Xin's other previous portable amps that comes in around $100 or so.

I wouldn't say they're really the "ultimate", they might be the "ultimate portable" amp, but there's obviously better amps, even though pairing Ety ER-4 with some large full size desktop amp might look a little strange to some
wink.gif

However, they are indeed, very, very good... I don't know how the base version sounds, but I know I liked the stacked buffer version very much. Obviously some of the features are built with ER-4 in mind, such as the built in impedance switch, that wouldn't be of much use to most other headphones.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Using the term "ultimate amp" may justly open it up to criticism that's a little unfair to the S.Mono (or nearly any amp). Listening at the moment to the version Lindrone mentioned above, I'll easily say (provided the final product is similar) it's one of the best portable options out there (Etys or not, I'm currently using it with the MS1). Some may prefer the SR71 or PocketReference, but I truly find myself enjoying this amp more and more every day.

I'm using the bass boost (something I rarely do with other sources/amps) often, so likely the triple stacked buffer ($250) or this maxed out double w/bb ($300) offers such a pleasant, but punchy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back