supermono availability ?
Jul 24, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 37
Xin said it needs at least three weeks for further improvement.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Supermono looks cool!

How much is it going to be?

I wish Xin would use a better looking volume knob, like a machined aluminum knob.

How much is it going to be?

Exactly on the mark, ampgalore..

The plasticky knob doesn't belong on an amp shooting to be the king of portable amps.. The volume knob looks to be taken straight off of a Supermini.. A machined aluminum knob like the one on the SR-71 would be ideal. The black bands on the case also need to go.. makes the amp look like a cheapy pimeta.. Oh, and the prototype photos show that the finish on the amp is not top-notch... you can see gaps in screw holes and switch holes that show gaps.. but, as long as these build quality issues are ironed out in time for the production model, this is definitely the next great portable amp to look out for..

I also noticed that the prototype's battery cover has screws that would need a screwdriver to remove them.. not so ideal compared to the easily removable screws on the SR-71. But I guess the batteries were meant to be rechargeables, a la the SuperDual, so that the user wouldn't have to go throught the hassle of using screwdrivers to replace the batteries frequently.

The suggested price is around $200.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 37
I was thinking about plucking down the cash for an SR-71, as some members have already starated selling their SR-71's. But after seeing this one, I think I am going to wait for the supermono
evil_smiley.gif

I really like the fact that the mono uses AA batteries. Less hassle than 9v's.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 37
Does look good. I'd sent an email about an ety cable along with some questions about the micro and mono but no response.

edit/update: This from Xin who emailed a reponse today(26July04):

Quote:

The SuperMono will take at least one month to release in USA. It is
priced at $200-300, depending on features and looks.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
Exactly on the mark, ampgalore..

The plasticky knob doesn't belong on an amp shooting to be the king of portable amps.. The volume knob looks to be taken straight off of a Supermini.. A machined aluminum knob like the one on the SR-71 would be ideal. The black bands on the case also need to go.. makes the amp look like a cheapy pimeta.. Oh, and the prototype photos show that the finish on the amp is not top-notch... you can see gaps in screw holes and switch holes that show gaps.. but, as long as these build quality issues are ironed out in time for the production model, this is definitely the next great portable amp to look out for..

I also noticed that the prototype's battery cover has screws that would need a screwdriver to remove them.. not so ideal compared to the easily removable screws on the SR-71. But I guess the batteries were meant to be rechargeables, a la the SuperDual, so that the user wouldn't have to go throught the hassle of using screwdrivers to replace the batteries frequently.

The suggested price is around $200.

I think you are too hard on xin. This is the first one out of the line. It suppose s to have problem. I am sure if you post on xin's forum, xin will take your opinon into consideration.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
I think you are too hard on xin. This is the first one out of the line. It suppose s to have problem. I am sure if you post on xin's forum, xin will take your opinon into consideration.

Haycheng.. my comments have only good intentions. I am registered on Xin's forums under the same user name.. and I will post the feedback there. This thread was the first time I saw Supermono's pics, and hence the comments posted here first, instead of on Xin's forum. In fact, I greatly appreciate Xin's genius and workmanship... IIRC, Xin's Supermini was my first foray into head-fi amps, and I still think it is one of the best portable amps for its price..

If more people see the areas that workmanship could be improved, the more feedback for Xin, and in the end, a better product for everyone. I guess I did mention that it is still a prototype and hence needs to iron out those build quality issues in time for a production run.

All is well that ends well.

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 37
This is the problem of forum..It is hard to tell the tone of the person. By no mean, I want critizing you.
biggrin.gif
As long as xin kinows what the proble is, I am sure he will fix it.

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
This is the problem of forum..It is hard to tell the tone of the person. By no mean, I want critizing you.
biggrin.gif
As long as xin kinows what the proble is, I am sure he will fix it.

No offense taken.
biggrin.gif
Maybe it WAS the tone of my comments that gave you the wrong impression.

Actually, Xin's forum does not have the Supermono pics and thread in the English version.. they are posted only on the Simplified Chinese forums..

Maybe I will start the thread in the English section..
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 37
Looks amazing! Wonder why there are four switches
confused.gif
confused.gif
power, crossfeed, er4p->s, ???

Xin should rename it to Mini-BlockHead
wink.gif
Will the final version use the Hammond case, or a custom one?

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
confused.gif
confused.gif

Xin should rename it to Mini-BlockHead
wink.gif
Will the final version use the Hammond case, or a custom one?

The fourth switch might be 'bass boost'..

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 37
[size=small]

Please post your valuable suggestions and criticisms on Xin's forum in the thread
[/size]

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=246

The more feedback for Xin in the early design stage, the better the final product would be.

Go Xin !!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 37
Man, I was thinking of "returning" my superdual (that I haven't received yet) and purchasing a supermono, but the lack of rechargable power source is a bad thing to me.

Other than that, the new amp looks pretty impressive!

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
confused.gif
confused.gif

They should be power, impedance (ER4P-to-S), bass boost, and gain switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back