Supermini V6 and Weston UM2 synergy problem
Dec 1, 2005 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
HELP!!!! I have a bit of a problem when using my new Westone UM2 with my supermacro. I usually use the impedence switch with my Shure E4c, the hiss is taken away and The sound character does not change too much. However, with my UM2, I get considerable hiss when they are plugged in and once the impedence swith is flipped to lower it, the hiss is gone. Unfortunately, the sound COMPLETELY changes. The bass is more distant along with the highs (quite rolled off) and a good amount of detail is lost to muddy bass. On top of all that, there is this "veil" that seem to sit over my sound and muffle even my Lossless recordings. When I flip the switch to "off" (down) then the sound flourishes! Bass is impactful, detailed, nice. Highs return and have a snap that they are supposed to. Detail returns and i get a clean, wide soundsage but I must sacrifice the noise floor, with considerable hiss which is unacceptable. I cannot stand the veiled sound (not Senn veil, but some congested sounding veil). Is it something with my opamps, my set up, or what? I use the Comply tips (long) and cut the tip off. Help Please!

the rig is as follows:
Ipod vid-->PocketDock-->RnB Diamond Mini-->Supermacro V6 (2x BUF634; AD8610)--> Westone UM2.

I also use my Powerbook via optical DAC, so source is not the problem

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 13
I am interested in the answer to this as well, seeing as I have a SMv6 on the way.

Have you tried rolling your op-amps? Others have reported (here and on Xin's forum) that certain op-amp combinations do produce a noticeable background hum, particularly in non-stock configurations (as you are using)...

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
HELP!!!! I have a bit of a problem when using my new Westone UM2 with my supermacro. I usually use the impedence .switch with my Shure E4c, the hiss is taken away and The sound character does not change too much. However, with my UM2, I get considerable hiss when they are plugged in and once the impedence swith is flipped to lower it, the hiss is gone. Unfortunately, the sound COMPLETELY changes. The bass is more distant along with the highs (quite rolled off) and a good amount of detail is lost to muddy bass. On top of all that, there is this "veil" that seem to sit over my sound and muffle even my Lossless recordings. When I flip the switch to "off" (down) then the sound flourishes! Bass is impactful, detailed, nice. Highs return and have a snap that they are supposed to. Detail returns and i get a clean, wide soundsage but I must sacrifice the noise floor, with considerable hiss which is unacceptable. I cannot stand the veiled sound (not Senn veil, but some congested sounding veil). Is it something with my opamps, my set up, or what? I use the Comply tips (long) and cut the tip off. Help Please!

the rig is as follows:
Ipod vid-->PocketDock-->RnB Diamond Mini-->Supermacro V6 (2x BUF634; AD8610)--> Westone UM2.

I also use my Powerbook via optical DAC, so source is not the problem

Wow, I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I'm sure glad I canceled my SuperMacro v6 order 3 weeks ago. I have an AE-1 set to low gain which performs great with my UM2's. The UM2's are supposed to have a good soundstage without an amp, so I can't figure out how the v6 set to low impedance would affect the soundstage of the UM2 like that. I would suggest immediately e-mailing Xin at his "emergency" e-mail: 911@fixup.net and describe to him what's going on. Maybe something's defective with the amp itself. Did it do this with the standard configuration? I know on his site he's got a new solution for different op-amp configurations on his new v6. Something to do with "compensation". I would definitely check into this.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 13
Is it the mini or macro that you have?

I had not tried the UM2's with the V6 as I have not been using them. I just put them on and plugged them in and the V6 is "dead quiet". I can turn the volume up to 3 oclock and I start to get noise from the input but at this volume I would destroy my hearing in a few minutes. I have read of problems with batteries and source components. I am using a Monica II dac. I am not using the impedence switch and the opamp is the stock one sent.

John

Dec 2, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 13
Given the high sensitivity of UM2, it's possible to get noise if turn the volume of V6 all way up and use the volume control of source.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks everyone for the imput. I am using the V6 supermacro. Instead of keeping the jumping wires on I plugged in BUF634 buffers in hopes of boosting the volume for my 600ohm AKG. Other than that it is stock. The impedence did not change the sound on my E4c when switched, but did on my UM2. I am using "Nuon" NIMH batteries rated at 850mAh. it says NUREAAA, although i dont know what that is. they are well coated too. The noise is present regardless of the powering method. the noise is there regardless of where the volume nob is, but is gets worst around the 3 o'clock position.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Also, I never use my source volume because it is line-level out. Secondly, I have tried to unplug the input from the amp and try different IC. No change unfortunatey

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 13
You actually get less headroom when using BUF634 than AD8397. Did you try AD8397?

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Goto2003. You, my friend, are correct. I just thought about it, and the BUF634 did take away considerble headroom, although they did increase Bass a little. But it is not enough of a change to fix the problem. My E4 dont sound so bad in comparison. I will try anyway. I currently have the AD8397 in with the buffers

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 13
I can confirm that the UM2's and the 75Ohm impedance switch of my Supermacro-3 do not got well together. The additional impedance somehow screws up the sound. Maybe it's because the UM2's are a two-way design and the additional impedance does not work too well with the crossover (?).

The amp as such is very quiet, but if you like you can try ultra-low noise opamps like the AD797 to further reduce the noise. But as I say, in my experience it's more the source (iRiver H340 in my case) than the amp which generates any noise.

I am using the AD744 together with XIN's OBCA adapter and the excellent sound I'm getting overcompensates me for the tiny background hiss (which becomes inaudible anyway once the music starts).

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Goto2003. You, my friend, are correct. I just thought about it, and the BUF634 did take away considerble headroom, although they did increase Bass a little. But it is not enough of a change to fix the problem. My E4 dont sound so bad in comparison. I will try anyway. I currently have the AD8397 in with the buffers

When using AD8397, there's no need to use BUF, as AD8397 has 300ma current capacity and BUF634 has only 250ma and AD8397 can use all voltage swing of batteries but BUF634 doesn't.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 13
The only reason i have the buffers is because I dont have jumping wires. I will be getting a dummy opamp, becuase I am too lay to carefully put the wires in with pliers. (I am also kind of afraid I will mess something up)

Sugano-San, Is there a little background noise or is there alot. I have enough coming out to color music that is quieter. The sound is better when the impedence switch is in the down position. How are you liking the sound out of your UM2?

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 13
As I said,

I can confirm that the UM2's and the 75Ohm impedance switch of my Supermacro-3 do not got well together. The additional impedance somehow screws up the sound. Maybe it's because the UM2's are a two-way design and the additional impedance does not work too well with the crossover (?).

The amp as such is very quiet, but if you like you can try ultra-low noise opamps like the AD797 to further reduce the noise. But as I say, in my experience it's more the source (iRiver H340 in my case) than the amp which generates any noise.

I am using the AD744 together with XIN's OBCA adapter and the excellent sound I'm getting overcompensates me for the tiny background hiss (which becomes inaudible anyway once the music starts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back