SuperMini IV questions
Sep 12, 2006 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had the amp for 10 days and my initial thoughts were very positive and remain so except for the crossfeed feature, as I mentioned in another topic.

To recap the crossfeed issue, I find that unless the amps volume is at or very near maximum, the stereo separation collapses into almost mono with crossfeed engaged.

The only option that I have in order to use the crossfeed and be happy with it is to max out the volume. This is what I've been doing for the past two days. I've made comparisons turning on and off crossfeed and the effect with the amps volume at max. is very much like what I'm familiar with, having used other crossfeed filters.

The down side to this is that I can't use the line out on my DAP, I must use the headphone out and adjust the DAPs volume accordingly. Doing this sounds very good but with crossfeed turned off and comparing line out to headphone out I can hear the improvement with line out. I don't use EQ,bass boost or smart volume on my ZV:M.

SO, my question is can using the amp at max. volume damage the amp or be otherwise simply a bad idea? Also, should I be using hi or low gain ?(does it matter)

As a side note on using the impedance switch, I can say without a doubt that I prefer the added 75 Ohms while using my ER4P. I used the "S" conversion since day 1 and just today compared to the "P". My impressions are in agreement with much of what I've read about ER4P vs. ER4S. The later is a smoother, more balanced sound.

I'm still wondering Is this how Xins crossfeed is supposed to behave?
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I've noticed that you have some concerns regarding Xinfeed that hasn't been addressed in previous posts.

I have an SM3 V3 and when I first got it, I too didn't think it was working properly so I became rather paranoid and puzzled and a bit upset in having to send it back to Xin.

But it wasn't defective, I just wasn't understanding what it does and how it changes sound.

For me, it's use really depends on the original source song/file and my listening mood (analytic vs. long listening sessions).

On tracks that have a very drastic left or right bias, I find that Xinfeed blends it a bit but the bias is still there to give a stereo effect as originally intended.

On tracks that have good left/right balance Xinfeed sounds like it doesn't do very much at all but, overall and over time, I really do like Xinfeed, as it seems to take away the "harsh edge" of music making it less fatiguing, especially when listening for very long periods of time (2-12 hours).

There's definitely a psychological/physiological aspect in how we interpret the noise coming into our ears and how our brain interprets. I don't wish to discuss these issues as I'm not very technically versed in it and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions and preferences in how crossfeed is implemented. There's plenty of tech info about crossfeed at Jan's, Xin's, and Tyll's site.

I found some links and a sound test file you can download. It works well to let you actually hear and discern what is changing and let you know if it's working at all.

This is a very old Xin link and webpage, but the info is relevant and the sound file you can download is at the bottom:

http://fixup.net/products/pktamp/xinaddon.htm

This is another old link where Xin discusses Xinfeed. Xin provides links to headwize with lots of cool tech info:
http://fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPI...s=xinfeed,file

Finally to answer your question: In some ways it does make it "sound" "mono", in other instances the crossfeed is not strong enough.

For me it really depends on the source track production, my mood, my ear fatigue level, and my level of analytical vs. long-term listening. For me, it also depends on the type of music too.

Really that's what I love so much about the Super Macro: things change for me--my moods, my music, my tastes, my listening environment.

The switches provide very quick and to my ears, perfectly implemented gain, bass, and crossfeed/harshness control while the opamps provide more long term shaping.

Just to reiterate, I went through the same thing with my amp. I thought it was broken then got upset. I used the file above to test the crossfeed, and I gave the amp and crossfeed alot more playtime with different music, with different moods, and different length of listening, and it really made me understand what the Xinfeed is actually doing, and how I can learn to use it as I need it.

I like Xinfeed. It may not be your cuppa' tea and you may not like it compared to other implementations of crossfeed. Perhaps there is something broken, so I'd try the test sound file first.

Regardless, you should definitely not be maxing out the volume pot for a myriad of reasons just to get a stereo effect: that's defeating the whole purpose of having such a nice amp.

I'm so sick of reading posts of people whining about this or that about Xin and his amps. So it's nice to assist your concerns about your Xin amp.

Hopefully, this post will help you a bit in determining if the Xinfeed is defective so you can then decide if the amp meets your musical tastes and and rig requirements

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your reply. I did read through some of the info in those links, some of it I've previously read.

I need to restate that I'm well aware of the sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic effect that crossfeed should have. What I'm experiencing with my Mini is a full time very-much-like-mono sound. It sounds nothing like the Meier or HeadRoom versions.

Using the amps volume at maximum does sound like what I expect crossfeed to sound like and I've compared this to defeating the "Xinfeed".

Listening with the amps volume at max. may not be "recommended" but it actually sounds very good with no distortion,clipping or any ill effects.

Once Xin becomes less busy I intend to contact him and might end up sending the amp for him to inspect.

I was hoping that some SuperMini IV owners that have experience with either Meiers or HeadRooms versions could give me their impressions. It might be too early for that since there are still many amps to be delivered it seems.

At this point I've concluded these possibilities:

1. My amp is defective and needs repair.
2. Xins version of crossfeed is extreme and sounds nothing like the others.

A third possibility is that all SuperMini IV amps have the same problem and would need to be re-worked. I hope this is not the case, that would really suck for everyone. I realize that not everyone uses crossfeed but it would be an issue for resale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back