SuperMini Amp-a?
Dec 9, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #16 of 21
Rizmu:

I"ve had that happen as well, where you have the volume almost as loud as you need it and possibly out of not concentrating it goes quickly up and BLASTO. Kind of like electroshock aversion therapy or something. You do learn quickly how to work the thing and works great once you get used to it. I also found the analog knob moves if you have it in a bag and leave it around the 12 o'clock position.

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by teknophyl
Hey Spad,
if you make the knob flush with the case, won't it then be impossible to take off the back of the case to replace the batteries?

Ahh, keen eye there, Teknophyl
smily_headphones1.gif

What I did was tighten the knob's set screw just slightly. It's secure, but if I ever need to change batteries wthout a screwdriver handy, I can just pull it off. I tried the the knob several times and, because of the relatively soft plastic of the shaft, it's both secure and yet easily removed. It also has the advantage of allowing the knob to be reoriented.

The amp's 100 to 200 hour battery life makes the change worthwhile, IMO. I think it looks a lot better and makes the SuperMini even more mini.

Spad

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 21
Why can't it just come with a digital volume control with two buttons, a volume up and a volume down button?

I've never designed an amp... is there something signifigantly more expensive or difficult about that kind of volume control?

Dec 10, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin143
Why can't it just come with a digital volume control with two buttons, a volume up and a volume down button?

I've never designed an amp... is there something signifigantly more expensive or difficult about that kind of volume control?

It might be difficult to find one small enough to fit the SuperMini. The thing is a SUPERmini.
smily_headphones1.gif

Spad

Dec 10, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 21
Indeed it is very small, however be careful what you plug it into because I am the one responsible for the 12/01 update on Xin's website:

Quote:

[12/01/01] Unlike an analogue volume control, a digital one cannot take more than its power supply voltage, i.e. 4.5V (-2.25 to +2.25) in this case. The output level of most portable audio is within -1 to +1 V (0.7 V RMS), and thus there is no problem. Home audio equipment usually output at -2.8 V to +2.8 V (2 V RMS) and may cause the amp to clip. The headphone output of some desktop/PC audio could be so high that this amp might be permanently damaged by the extremely high voltage (7 V or higher).

The lately amps (shipped after 12/01/02) has an improved input circuit dealing with this issue and can be safely used for both portable and home audio. If you have an earlier V3 amp and do use it with your home audio, you may send it back for free upgrading. If you use your V3 amp with portables only, you don't have to do the upgrading.

With that in mind, Xin fixed my SuperMini ASAP and it is now back safely in my possesion. I couldn't be happier with the sound that it produces on my Sennheiser HD-280s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back