SuperMicro - OMG!
Oct 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I am trying to pack my gear for tommorow's Chicago meet, but I've been distracted. I received mine today and it is small. My portable META42 (built by JMT) is 5xs bigger!

I plugged this puppy into my D25S and Beyer 880s. My initial impressions after listening to the following w/out any burn in:

Patricia Barber - You Don't Know Me. Nice separation of the piano, Ms. Barber's voice, the cymbals, and Mike Arnpol's bass.

Aaron Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man. The brass is not grating at all, detailed. The cymbals have a nice sizzle. The timpanis are strong and robust, not boomy.

Gladiator - The Battle. Plenty of bass! Again horns are detailed, but not grating. From the 6 minute mark to about the 7 minute mark is some incredibly intense music, handled quite nicely by the SuperMicro.

Very nice sound overall and dead silent. It powers the Beyers to unsafe levels very easily without distortion. I had the The Battle track measured at 94db consistently from the 6 minute mark onward (Radio Shack SPL meter pressed against the ear cup). Wow! All this without any burn in.

Blue light is cool!

Regards - reynman

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I heard one of those at the Denver meet a month ago and was impressed considering its small size. It powered my Beyer DT770's, a rather hard to drive can, pretty well, and better than the SuperMini. I liked it's brighter tonal balance and deeper bass better than the SuperMini, too. Very impressive piece of work, especially on only a single AAA battery.

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by reynman
I am trying to pack my gear for tommorow's Chicago meet, but I've been distracted. I received mine today and it is small.

Ah, nice to see, maybe mine will show up soon as well
tongue.gif

Glad to hear about the sound as well, although I really cannot say that I decided to order mine because of potentially better sound compared to the SuperMini - for me, this is all about size.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since I rediscovered my SuperMini I am taking my iPod to even more places than before, I also use the WhiteBuds more often with the SuperMini, it just makes them so much better. It's a true suck stopper...
biggrin.gif
... and this will all be even better with the SuperMicro... can't wait!
etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Ah...this is what you showed me at the Chicago meet?? It's pretty incredible, I'll say that. The sound that was coming from this thing that was smaller than a pack of Juicy Fruit gum was mindblowing. It did a fine job driving Beyer DT880's...a nice little amp (pun intended
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 2, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by drp
A bump and a nudge for the new Super Micro users. Any other feedback to offer the hungry masses?

Well, got a mail from Xin the other day about the possibility of upgrading the SuperMicro in the future, but he did *not* say that it shipped... argh!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 8
I've been emailing Xin for 3 weeks (every several days) and not gotten an answer. One was returned with fatal error; the one I sent last night was reported undeliverable for 4 hours. Either his inbox is full or there is some sort of hiccup in his mail server.

Anyway, trying to be patient... I either want to return my super mini for mods (treble to hard and bright) or for refund (he has offered to do both!).

The most forgivable reason for ignoring my email (aside from server glitches) is that he's working hard to ship units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back