SuperMacro V2.0 coming out soon!
Mar 4, 2005 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Big Al

100+ Head-Fier
Taken from Xin's Cool Talk website:

Source: http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=579

V2.0 of SuperMacro!

The main thing new in this new version is the architecture: true triple mono - separated L, R and ground channels. Most changes/improvements are in the ground channel which also features a new key component for better performance and reliability. This V2.0 has better bass and sound image, sounds quieter and works more stable as well. Also, this version can work at lower voltage; therefore batteries can last longer.

This new version can deploy optimally any popular audio opamps, such as OPA637, 627, 228, 227, 604, AD8610, 825, 797, NE5534, LM6171 etc., at default gain 5 or higher.

Higher current in both battery-save and AC mode, for richer sounding either on road or at home.

The volume pot is also changed for better low-volume control for some very sensitive headphones.

Larger caps: 6800uF (standard), 4400uF (opamp sockets) and 2400uF (buffer sockets), respectively.

Shipping of the new V2.0 will start in 1-2 week(s). All unshipped orders will be held for this new version.

Current owners of SuperMacro will be able to upgrade by replacing the circuit board(s). Details will be set shortly.

Thank you!

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 62
Excellent, thanks for posting this!

I was gonna send my OPA627 SM back to Xin tomorrow, to have him replace the pot, but I guess I'll hold off until the V2.0 is ready ...
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 62
Same here,

was just about to send mine off to be looked at, now I'll just upgrade the circuit boards..

hope it won't cost that much. I am so broke after buying all this headphone quipment...my wallet curses, but my ears thanks'.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 62
Any ideas as to change in price? I'd imagine the price may increase with the additional parts of a triple mono typology...but "All unshipped orders will be held for this new version" suggest that the price may be the same?

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 62
rolleyes.gif
Sheesh! He never quits. Xin wears me out even more than my wife.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
rolleyes.gif
Sheesh! He never quits. Xin wears me out even more than my wife.

And she's hot, too!

If past history is any indication, Xin will do all he can to keep the price at or close to current levels.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 62
Hmmm...I literally just placed my order for a SuperMacro on Wednesday. I'm curious as to which board I will be getting.
confused.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 62
From one of Xin's posts:

"If you can open the front panel of SuperMacro, you can simply order the new boards and easily swap them by yourself without having to send your amp back. Then you may send the old boards back for some cashback."

Xin is da man!

IMG_1125.JPG

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 62
Three seperated channels? Is that a PPA
k1000smile.gif
It's pain to catch up with this guy! But do I have any reason to talk me out of the upgrading?

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 62
sweet! I was going to order one next week anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

quick question though (I'm not an electrical person). with the 4500uF optional sockets, does this mean that it might be worth getting it socketed (for self rolling) instead of haveing the opamps soldered on?

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
sweet! I was going to order one next week anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

quick question though (I'm not an electrical person). with the 4500uF optional sockets, does this mean that it might be worth getting it socketed (for self rolling) instead of haveing the opamps soldered on?

As far as I remember, Xin had said that anywhere above something like 3000uF it was almost impossible to detect the difference with higher capacitance. AFAIK, the only reason that the non-socketed version has a higher value is that there is space for it, but it shouldn't affect the sound too much.

In any case, I recommend posting in Xin's forum for a personal answer from the master
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 62
Ah, geez... anyone from SoCal getting one of these? I'd like to do a comparo with my soon to arrive Portaphile.

When Xin comes out with his SM/DAC that's something I'll _really_ have to consider.

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 62
Xin was at the NorCal meet last weekend, everyone was pretty impressed by the new SuperMacro. Impressions here, if you haven't seen them already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back