Supermacro iv short circuit issue?
Apr 24, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'd been going along fine with my used sm iv until the cord on the supplied charger frayed and it no longer worked. I bought a substitute 12v at Radio Shack. It seemed fine, but suddenly the sm wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes, even after a whole day of charging. I thought the batts needed changing, so I replaced them. Same problem. I even put fresh non-rechargeable batts in. They drained out after a day or two (with the amp mostly turned off).

With my e500s also needing repair I hate to have to send everything in at once (and with summer coming, I won't have the big coat pockets in which to secure my current rig, a 30 gig Zune/sr 71).

Is there anything I can do short of sending it back to doc Xin that might correct this problem?

TIA

Andy

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 3
first: I forget at what voltage you should charge the Supermacro. So is your new charger the variable type where you can select which voltage?? Iknow the supermacro charges at a different level than the Supermacro IV LE. Might want to check on that.

Considering Xin hasnb't responded to anyone in months, you may want to consider buying another amp and waiting until he reemerges before sending it off to the Xin ether

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Mike,

If memory serves, the amp came with a variable charger set on 12v. The one I replaced it with was also 12v. Then, when the battery problem started I thought I might have overdone the voltage, so I bought a 9v model (I had a brain-fade and decided that the amp had six batteries rather than eight).

Thanks for the info about Xin. I'll check the website and see if I can learn more about the charging requirements. But the power drain remains
frown.gif

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back