SuperMacro-3 a review
Apr 4, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #31 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsilver
I'm a new guy to this forum and I truly enjoy the passion you all have for headphones. I share your passion, so about 2 years ago I purchased one of the 300 Sennheiser Orpheus headphones and amps. Set me back about $13,000 but, I'm a headphone junky. I won't go into detail about the Orpheus, it's simply phenomenal in its ability to produce exquisite resolution across the entire spectrum of our range of hearing from ultra high to ultra low and it also beautifully delineates the various instruments and voices creating a lush and extremely wide soundstage. I have become totally addicted to it's sound, so addicted in fact, that I am not happy listening to anything else. However, I travel a lot and love to listen to good music on the go and when I treadmill walk. Good music helps relieve the pain and suffering of working out. The Orpheus is totally non-portable. I wrote Xin in early March and told him of my goal. I wanted to come as close to duplicating the sound of my Orpheus with a portable set up. So my logic was to purchase the best lightweight headphone that I could find that could be driven by my Sony Walkman. This turned out to be the Grado RS-1. I prefer the Grado's to the Shure E-5c. While the RS-1 delivers beautifully at the high and mid-ranges it suffers at the low end. So, I figured that a portable headphone amp with a high quality bass boost would be perfect and, after reading all of the discussion here on this forum, I choose to go with the SM-1 plus switches (which happily quickly became the SM-3). Xin suggested the Op-amp 627 so that is what I went with. I bought a high quality interconnect as well.
I must agree with the extremely positive statements made here that the SM-3 (with bass boost on) plus the Grado RS-1 has come as close to the sound of my Orpheus + Sony DSD 777es SACD player that I ever thought might be possible. I would estimate that the sound quality of my new portable set up, thanks to the SM-3, is about 90% as good as the Orpheus and at about 1/10 of the cost. I am completely happy and Xin was terrific since we corresponded several times before I made my final decision. It's nice to talk directly to the man behind the machine. He must be some kind of genious to fit an Orpheus into something about the size of a credit card!

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
RS-1 + SM V3 = 90% of the Orpheus?!?!

Has anyone else compared these combos? This seems almost too good to be true!

Oh, and remember to sell me your RS-1's. You know they're uncomfortable, colored, have grainy highs, and just plain make you want to sell them to me at a cheap price
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 247
Hi, jamato8, would you mind tell us your thoughts on how much an improvement is for your UM2 with SM-3 ??

I just bought a UM2 and thinking about to purchase a portable amp for it.

thanks

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #34 of 247
With the UM2's I hear details to the tiniest degree. I hear reverb (natural or artificial) that was only hinted at with the headphones. With the V3 bass is solid and deeper than with the V1 or the SR71. I, personally, would not want less or more bass. It is natural and articulate. The stage, on live recordings, is not as wide or deep as with good headphones, but this is typical of ear canal phones. But, it is very enjoyable and still gives a feeling of depth and width entertained by the soundfield being presented.

John

Apr 4, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #35 of 247
Dear Zoide,

Sorry, but the RS-1's aren't for sale. You can get them at a really good price from Galen Carol. I have been listening to the RS-1 + SM-3+ Sony (Sport) Walkman for 5 days now, constantly going back and forth between my Orpheus+its dedicated SCD777Es SACD/CD player. I noticed that pressing the RS-1 bowl pads closer to my head made the sound richer, so I bought the original flat ear pads from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. The flat pads allow for a bit more pressure to deal with on the ears but still relatively comfortable for at least an hour or 2. Not as comfortable as the Orpheus but not too bad. I haven't really changed my original conclusion that the RS-1+SM3 is about 90% as good as the Orpheus at least to my ears. I like music of all kinds so long as it is well recorded and presents a full range of the musical spectrum. So, I like Deep Forest (this is a truly unique CD and great for comparisons), Fourplay, Paul Simon's Graceland, James Taylor (his newer recordings), Kenny Rogers, James Ingram, Basia (Cruisin for Bruisin), stuff like that. I haven't listened to much classical music yet with my portable setup. Personally, I prefer the bright high end that the RS-1 produces, because it allows you to hear all the nuances that are associated with percussion and other treble rich instruments (eg., you can hear the drumsticks touch the cymbals in addition to the cymbals themselves). Some people refer to this as being "overly bright" but I love the high definition and resolution that gives one the ability to hear absolutely everything. That's what the Orpheus sounds like at the high end and the RS-1's come close. However, as I mentioned, the RS-1's sacrifice at the low end, so here is where the SM-3 plus it's bass boost, plus everything else the SM-3 does, helps the RS-1 achieve a more Orpheus -like sound. The bass boost on the Walkman is sub-par to that on the SM-3. The only recordings that I have had to back off on volume using my portable set up were a few of Celine Dione's tracks where her powerful voice was just too much to bear.
I wrote my initial message with the intention of sharing my experience with those who might be trying to achieve a portable sound near that of the Orpheus at about 1/10 to 1/12 of the cost. Might help some people save some money because I have gone through several different lightweight headphones in my quest. My Shure E-5c's compared to the RS-1's sound relatively more "muddy" than the RS-1's (but are OK, I'll keep using these on airplanes) and I gave away a pair of Sennheiser 497's (they were light, cheap but lousy in comparison). I gave a pair of Etymotic's (their high-end portable type) to my son because they were not as good as the Shure's.
Finally, I have noticed that my Sony Walkman is essentially as good a source as a much more expensive SACD/CD player that I use for my surround sound system (using its headphone output). Now, if somebody produces a portable SACD/DVD-audio player then we will have on-the-go musical heaven.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 247
jsilver: Wow, thanks for your detailed explanation
smily_headphones1.gif
Makes me want to get the RS-1's even more
evil_smiley.gif

You mention that the SM V3 bass boost is very good. Did you just order the normal V3 or did you ask Xin to increase the bass boost? I remember that at the beginning, the V1's bass boost was very low (almost unnoticeable), and so many people (me included) had him raise ours. I was wondering what level of bass boost the V3 has in comparison to that.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #37 of 247
Quote:

Now, if somebody produces a portable SACD/DVD-audio player then we will have on-the-go musical heaven.

If you use the optical out of a portable transport and use a good portable dac you will have excellent sound that in my opinion (when well recorded) and it will rival SACD. I have SACD (modified) and a high end dac and prefer the dac. But I also find often that music recorded in the higher resolution format gives an excellent performance in the red book format. I often copy my hybrids of enjoyed music, as travel companions. The UM2's are great for flights and nightime listening but for normal travel, walking and hiking the Portapros, modified (to adjust for the bass hump), are excellent and never cease to amaze me, regardless of price.

John

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #38 of 247
Very informative information. I am also dying for a high-end portable source. Some of the current portable sources have optical output. But I am not sure if the Optical-Digital transition compennent used in portable players is up to the high-end standard. I once have a home DAC that's be capable of taking Optical and Coax Digtal sources and prefer the sound of digital. I wonder if it's because the Optical-Digital transition will lead to some degrade in sound. Highly appreciated if someone can shed me some light on this.

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 247
A lot of it depends on the quality of the transmition line. I use one from Canada that transmits the optical digital signal better than glass. I have found that the DE-J2000 Sony cd portable has an excellent optical out as well as the 1000. The DE-J855 sucks but there are many nice 1000 and 2000's on the market at good prices. I bought mine on Ebay and one, which shows a lot of wear, still plays great and once I got over my anger at how worn it is, is used everyday.

I have listened to the Monica II on coax and optical from my home transport, which has coax and optical and the difference is hard for me to detect. There are so many variables but I believe that a good coax or optical will both perform fine except for the 855 :^).

Today I was up walking at The University of Arizona while listening to a Bob Marley live recording. The reverb fit the large plaza where I was, which is also used for live music from time to tiime and the effect was incredable. The placement of Marley and the instruments fit the area and the reverb was just right. The distance and sound worked so well that it was like listening to a live performance. It was too cool for words. I was using the DE-J2000 as a transport to the Monica II dac, to the V3 and to my modified Portapros.

John

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=254

This is an excellent quality optical cable with nice aluminum ends and beautiful finish. I have them from 8 inches, which is tip to tip, up to 2 1/2 feet.

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #40 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
Very informative information. I am also dying for a high-end portable source. Some of the current portable sources have optical output. But I am not sure if the Optical-Digital transition compennent used in portable players is up to the high-end standard. I once have a home DAC that's be capable of taking Optical and Digtal sources and prefer the sound of digital. I wonder if it's because the Optical-Digital transition will lead to some degrade in sound. Highly appreciated if someone can shed me some light on this.

Maybe it's the cable, try a better optical cable to see if it makes any difference.I remember there was a lot of hype about glass toslink cable once, ppl were saying they sound better than $$$ coaxial cables.
BTW are you going to write a review on SM3?
etysmile.gif
,time to get an ety to go with it ,man

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #41 of 247
Dear Z,

I just got the basic 4 extra features that Xin is now incorporating into the SM-3, nothing extra. I probably like his bass boost because it is subtle, just enough to bring out good resolution at the low end and it helps mellow out the mid-tones.

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #42 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Has anybody recieved their SuperMacro V3.0 with the
Clear Enclosure? Can someone post pic?

Thanks!

Rab10,

Just to "clarify", as I can imagine some folk might mistakenly think a see-through case is offered.

The "Clear" enclosure is just the silver version of the aluminum housing, as opposed to the "black" enclosure. The difference is in the type of anodizing done to the aluminum... clear or black.

Visually the two cases differe in color, the style of screws used and the volume knob (the silver one has two black o-rings for grip instead of ridges)

There are pictures (not very good ones) on his web site http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/index.htm

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #43 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
A lot of it depends on the quality of the transmition line. I use one from Canada that transmits the optical digital signal better than glass. I have found that the DE-J2000 Sony cd portable has an excellent optical out as well as the 1000. The DE-J855 sucks but there are many nice 1000 and 2000's on the market at good prices. I bought mine on Ebay and one, which shows a lot of wear, still plays great and once I got over my anger at how worn it is, is used everyday.

I have listened to the Monica II on coax and optical from my home transport, which has coax and optical and the difference is hard for me to detect. There are so many variables but I believe that a good coax or optical will both perform fine except for the 855 :^).

John

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=254

This is an excellent quality optical cable with nice aluminum ends and beautiful finish. I have them from 8 inches, which is tip to tip, up to 2 1/2 feet.

Thanks, John. I will definitely get one of these high quality Optical cable as long as I put an hand on a decent portable DAC (probably Xin's
icon10.gif
).

For the Portable player, I am thinking of whether to get a Hard Driver player with Optical output (i.e. Iriver iHP-120, a rare one in the market place with optical output) or a Sony D-EJ1000/2000. Besides, is there any other Sony portable CD players with good optical output as EJ1000/2000?

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #44 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
BTW are you going to write a review on SM3?
etysmile.gif
,time to get an ety to go with it ,man

Still waiting for my SM3.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #45 of 247
Have you received any word on a delivery date? The last email I got from Xin, about 4 days ago, stated that he was doing everything he could to get the orders out and that he had a high demand for the V3. I have been listening to the V3 at home as a home unit. I am frustrated as I have put so much into the Woo 3 but there are things I prefer about the V3. The Woo3 has a beautiful dimensional quality but so does the 3. I will have to do some serious comparisons.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back