Superlux's HD681 EVO Mod (I donno why this works, it just does)
Oct 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DieForSurviving

Head-Fier
WARNING: THIS MOD IS NOT EASILY REVERSIBLE.

Thank Nikon for making the D7100, a insane camera that takes 6000 x 4000 resolution pictures. If not for this camera, you would not have these pictures :p

These Are what I got, And what use daily. I decided to add the ATH-PRO700MK2 to the pictures because after the mod, the bass sounds closer to them...

I prefer Velour on the HD 681 Evos here, I donno why but i feel like the sound is cleaner...
As you can already tell, this mod involves breaking open those covered 'bass ports' instant warranty void.
TOO THE MOD!

A VERY IMPORTANT PART TO KNOW, do not make these too small, else they don't help you, and If they're too big, it sounds different.

After you've ripped out the paper covering the holes, you can get ready to get the sticky part of the stick it notes in.

You want the sticky side facing out, that way it grabs onto the plastic housing.

There is two ways to get those tiny pieces where you want them. Either push them through, carefully to keep them flat to get good seal. and making sure you only see the paper and there is no area you can see past the paper. This way you you'll know if you made the pieces too big or small.

The other method is taking the back housing with the screws just around the paper seal off, to get access to the internals and put the pieces manually under the material on the inside.

----------------

This Mod fixes that bloated upper bass. leaving behind a nice rumble in the sub bass. This also helps with the slow bass a little bit. I personally have noticed that with this change, amplification is more noticeable. subtle but noticeable. (why this mod works? I have no clue, i just know it sounds better.)

----------------

Do be aware, it took me a while to get the pieces the right size. and getting them just right is what will make this mod worth it. I believe you could reverse this if you get your hands on some sort of adhesive paper like what was there originally, and just sealing it up. (size of paper does seem to change the sound.)

----------------

I would like feedback on what people think of the sound after this mod, etc hope you enjoyed this mod. These are selling for $40.95 so it's totally worth trying. :p

---------------

BTW, if you dont put in the paper, you get the sound coming from the back of the drivers bleeding through these ports, giving a sort of muffled delay to the sound. very unappealing.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm interested, but I am not a very technically sophisticated person and worry that I won't be able to put all the pieces back together. For example, I don't know how to get the exposure you have in your photos. How do you remove the ear pads? Silly question, I know, but I don't know how to do it. How to obtain the proper level of exposure in which to actually do your mod. That is the real question to me. If I could figure that out, I'd probably do it, since I love my Evos. Thanks for your efforts!

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 10
@serman005 I do not know what you mean by "exposure"

In any case, first step would be to remove the pads, same method as most headphones. (just a note, getting the pads back on are a tad difficult as the lip on the ear pads is small.)

next it would be removing the paper that covers the holes in the plastic as seen in the photos, (this is where there is no turning back)

next take stick-it notes, or something as close as possible and cut off the sticky part and cut into squares so the sides just barely reach the edges of the circle cut outs of the headphones.

Then just take something to push the stick it note squares through, with the sticky side sticking out.

Over the last two steps, try to be as consistent as possable as i have found both the placement and size of the stick it notes to affect sound.

after that it is a matter of putting the pads back on and taking a listen to see if you like it. if not they are super cheap at 40$ USD New.

and just letting this be known, i actually got the evos and hated how much bass they had, so i wanted to remove it, so i got rid of the paper, it sounded cleaner in terms of tonality but there were after images of the sound coming from the back of the driver, especially noticeable in the upper mids. so i needed to fix it. i looked for medical tape (micro porous tape) to try and reseal, but was out, and wanted quick fix, and that what this mod is, my quick fix, just i liked how it sounded with the quick fix that i kept it. my father and brother-in-law both agree they like the sound more then stock.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Okay. Thank you for the directions, DieForSurvivng. I will see if I can do it. BTW, "exposure" is sort of a surgical term that means "visibility," for lack of a better phrase. Thanks for your help!

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Yea, I wanna know if anyone has done this and what are their thoughts. just a thought, my way is a very ghetto way of doing it, I imagine you could cut out a ring of paper that will sit on the outside and glue it over the holes, but if you try this try to have it seal. Im pretty sure its just a matter of blocking the bass ports with a material that has the thickness of a stick it note or something of the likes.

I cannot assist anymore cause ive sold the headphone to my dad.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 10
i don't get this. You said cut the pieces in square but in the picture the pieces in the holes are circular. And what is the point of sticky paper? why not any paper. I have the EVO's and I want to try this but i am confused. Can you make a video of this? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back