Superlux: "How many companies can we rip off?"
Mar 13, 2010 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
I just saw a set of superlux headphones in the FS section, and I was curious. A quick search led me to their website, which, if you only look at the pictures, is an index of products from Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser, and Audio-Technica.

I'm like, wow...

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 14
maybe if enough people are interested i can do a side-by-side tear-down of my dt-770 and my sr-660.

I'll give you a hint: superlux gives prison labor a bad name.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're knockoffs but damn they sound good!

Mine sound bad. Coby bad.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Well, the open HD681 (the one that is the AKG copy) sounds at least acceptable for its actual price (30ish € in the EU).

The similar priced HD660 (the DT770 copy) has a SQ that is sub zero, but it's nevertheless a real bargain as a cheap Beyer "spare parts warehouse". Many german geeks incl. me have built really cheap Beyers or other stuff by means of a Superlux headband and parts from the Beyer online store.
th_3595_2.jpg

2 examples of "Frankensteins" I have built my means of those Superlux components, a DT880'600 "closed back" and a more comfortable K271
th__P1010128.jpg
th__P1010086.jpg

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 14
I'll probably become the devil's advocate in the eyes of many, but I don't really care. I'll simply state an opinion.

I was in the market for a pair of AKG K240 and stumbled upon these - Superlux HD681 (similar to AKG K240 in appearance). They didn't cost much (25 euro), read some good things about them, the "risk" was very low so I've bought them.

A few days later I bought a pair of used K240DF with the intention of comparing the two and selling if necessary the "bad one".

Upon receiving them the fit and finish is not something to rave about, but it's more than reasonable for the price. I've had costlier Sennheisers that were much worse.
I understand the drivers are proprietary to Superlux and they've been manufacturing OEM products for AKG, Sony, Beyer, etc.
They have patents on what they produce and from a legal standpoint they're a genuine manufacturer.
I'm a straightforward guy, so that works for me.
Moral/ethical debates and issues are not my thing. I'll let others beat it to death.

Although the exterior design is similar to K240 the sound is NOT.
By that I don't mean necessarily bad, but different.
The sound signature is similar to a loudness effect (bass and treble), but not in a disagreeable way.
The AKG K240DF is all about the mids and mid-highs and communicates music in a different way.

It's difficult to call one better or worse because they both have qualities the other one lacks.

The Superlux' bass response is fuller and delivers more impact (without being overbearing). They also seem a bit more dynamic and punchy. The soundstage is slightly narrower but renders depth a bit better.

The AKG K240DF has a smoother sound with slightly more detail and better soundstage width. Imaging is a mixed bag. The AKG tends to focus better the forward instruments and the Superlux the background ones.

As a short conclusion I'd say their different cans for different tastes and music. The Superlux is more enjoyable to listen to when playing amplified music (rock, electronica, blues, etc). And the AKG feels more at home with acoustic music.

One last note is about modding the Superlux headphone. There is an entire thread about that on rock-grotto, so feel free to read/participate.

I've modified mine with a better (starquad) cable, blue tack dampening on the cups and drivers and a filter to balance the highs. The sound is improved and I decided to keep them.
To my ears they are in no way an inferior headphone to the AKG K240 or other headphones I've had or listened to in the sub-100 euro category.

To end this (boring) message ... feel free to give them a try. If you approach them with an open mind you might be pleasantly surprised.
(If not ... it doesn't really matter now, does it?)

PS: Rock-grotto link

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 14
link that rock grotto thread plz!

and as a note: almost all headphone designs are copied from others, going way back to the 1920s. every manufacturer does it. some manufacturers - like ultrasone- thrive on copies

its what this industry does, get over it.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 14
and the superlux do sound good for the price. i am selling mine to try one of their new releases soon

May 6, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 14
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review&action=display&thread=4769

Have a look here for Superlux:
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review

May 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 14
I bet that one will get deleted, they kind of dislike the mentioning of other sites.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back