Superlux HD330 - blown speaker or something else?
May 29, 2015 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rocknmather

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I bought Superlux HD330 about 3 months ago and despite their great sound and comfort, they developed a major issue. Their left speaker is buzzing even on moderately low levels. I've never listened to music very loud and my music doesn't really contain heavy bass (have used the Superlux mainly for rock). 

The buzzing/crackling/distortion (however it's called) appears on all kind of sources (cheap Sound Blaster USB audio card, Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface, my GSM and my friend's MP3 player) so it's not a problem with the laptop. The buzzing itself is kind of strange - it's not as the whole sound is distorted and I am sure of this as I checked with some modern songs with very clear production. The sound remains clear as a whole and it's like another track of buzzing is mixed with the song only in the left speaker. The buzzing depends on the loudness of the sound and/or the frequencies of the track I am playing - what I mean is that it's not constant. This song actually demonstrates it very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeW9_5kURI In the start of it, the buzzing appears only on the keyboard's notes so it's kind of "buzz - silence - buzz - silence" etc. If I have to describe the buzzing - again, it's not distortion. All of you have heard what effect loud bass has on rooms - various little things are starting to vibrate on the surface they are standing on, producing short high pitched sound slightly resembling snare drum reverberation. It's the same here... like something is moving inside the headphones. And the buzzing is getting louder when the song I play is louder too. Of course, when I tried to play loud, the buzzing it's constant, but on lower levels (so low that having buzzing is VERY unacceptable) it appears only on certain moments (the loudest ones) and certain frequencies (the most bassy/trebly ones).

So any ideas what is the problem? Is actually the speaker blown or it's something else?

May 31, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hi guys!

I bought Superlux HD330 about 3 months ago and despite their great sound and comfort, they developed a major issue. Their left speaker is buzzing even on moderately low levels. I've never listened to music very loud and my music doesn't really contain heavy bass (have used the Superlux mainly for rock). 

The buzzing/crackling/distortion (however it's called) appears on all kind of sources (cheap Sound Blaster USB audio card, Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface, my GSM and my friend's MP3 player) so it's not a problem with the laptop. The buzzing itself is kind of strange - it's not as the whole sound is distorted and I am sure of this as I checked with some modern songs with very clear production. The sound remains clear as a whole and it's like another track of buzzing is mixed with the song only in the left speaker. The buzzing depends on the loudness of the sound and/or the frequencies of the track I am playing - what I mean is that it's not constant. This song actually demonstrates it very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeW9_5kURI In the start of it, the buzzing appears only on the keyboard's notes so it's kind of "buzz - silence - buzz - silence" etc. If I have to describe the buzzing - again, it's not distortion. All of you have heard what effect loud bass has on rooms - various little things are starting to vibrate on the surface they are standing on, producing short high pitched sound slightly resembling snare drum reverberation. It's the same here... like something is moving inside the headphones. And the buzzing is getting louder when the song I play is louder too. Of course, when I tried to play loud, the buzzing it's constant, but on lower levels (so low that having buzzing is VERY unacceptable) it appears only on certain moments (the loudest ones) and certain frequencies (the most bassy/trebly ones).

So any ideas what is the problem? Is actually the speaker blown or it's something else?

Maybe the problem is that HD330 drivers are attached to the capsule with some sort of glue, so your left speaker is getting loose and if you dont try something, it may completely fall off.

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/5107

"I love these HD-660's really, but I have one real problem: With some really bassy music, I have heard some vibration/resonance in the right earcup. Initially, I've thought it was something loose inside the earcup (a cable or other part). I've heard that vibration all pads, but it was most evident with the softskin pads that have the best bass. After some testing, I've found the problem. The right driver isn't perfectly secured in the driver capsule respectively the dispersion plate. Those two plastic parts have a plastic snap in connection and are glued together additionally with some kind of white casein glue. My problem is that I have some doubts that I can open the driver capsule / dispersion plate without damaging it. Some of the glue was also dropped accidentially on the fleece that covers most of the dispersion plate. Not really bad, but at that point, it's clearly visible that Superlux doesn't produce on the same high quality level that Beyer is known for. I can't complain for the price, but that problem makes the 'phones unsuitable for some music. I have the problem really only with one driver and I guess it's just my individual HD660's. Still a bit annoying since I have to find a solution for that manufacturing sloppiness."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back