Superlux HD 668B vs. Fostex T50RP
Feb 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jon08192

New Head-Fier
So I was on the border of pulling the trigger on a pair of HD 668B's since they seem to be everything I'd like in a set of full size cans, but now the Fostex have come to my attention.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of these?

And also, exactly how much sound leak will there be from the 668B's?  Acceptable for a library?  Or should I instead think about looking at a closed version of them like the CAD's or the 660/662F?

Please help me out a little.  Thanks!  If it matters, I listen to everything from Rock to electronic.  Indie to metal, etc. etc. etc.  I have a pair of RE0's, iPod Classic, 320kbp mp3's, flacs, am planning on picking up a fiio E7, and use an E1 on my iPod. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 12
Heya,

I have the SR850's which are the same as the 668B's. And the T50RP (well, two of them). Frankly, the SR850 is more fun, so the 668B. The T50RP is what I consider one of the most over-hyped headphones mostly because of their cost and being a planar magnetic. I get the appeal that once they're heavily modded that they can be made to sound fantastic. But at quite an investment in cost. The stock T50RP to me sounds like an apple. All mids, no upper or lower register--and no fun. The T50RP is not neutral, don't know where that seems to come from, it's light/shy on the bass stock and the treble is hazzy and not much sparkle. It's weird sounding headphone honestly. The 668B sounds like a headphone with capability in all frequencies should sound. So I'm pointing this out since you mentioned electronic music (which I think the T50RP is pretty poor for). Note that the 668B/SR850 are semi-open, they leak like any headphone that is open (more than closed, less than a Grado).

Here's the SR850.

If you plan on doing modding or having someone mod it for you, the T50RP can become an incredible headphone. It's the only way to bring the bass out and really expand the headphone's dynamics. As it is, it's just a funky niche/novelty headphone as far as I'm concerned.

Have you considered Grado SR60i (with L-cush pads) or M-Audio Q40?

Very best,

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

I have the SR850's which are the same as the 668B's. And the T50RP (well, two of them). Frankly, the SR850 is more fun, so the 668B. The T50RP is what I consider one of the most over-hyped headphones mostly because of their cost and being a planar magnetic. I get the appeal that once they're heavily modded that they can be made to sound fantastic. But at quite an investment in cost. The stock T50RP to me sounds like an apple. All mids, no upper or lower register--and no fun. The T50RP is not neutral, don't know where that seems to come from, it's light/shy on the bass stock and the treble is hazzy and not much sparkle. It's weird sounding headphone honestly. The 668B sounds like a headphone with capability in all frequencies should sound. So I'm pointing this out since you mentioned electronic music (which I think the T50RP is pretty poor for). Note that the 668B/SR850 are semi-open, they leak like any headphone that is open (more than closed, less than a Grado).

Here's the SR850.

If you plan on doing modding or having someone mod it for you, the T50RP can become an incredible headphone. It's the only way to bring the bass out and really expand the headphone's dynamics. As it is, it's just a funky niche/novelty headphone as far as I'm concerned.

Very best,

You are completely right regarding the T50RP in stock form.

The value and hype of the T50RP comes from it's modding value. You can change the sound and tailor it to suite your preferences perfectly. Not every headphone is as easy to tweak as the T50RP.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
 (well, two of them)

I do too...

Quote:

The value and hype of the T50RP comes from it's modding value. You can change the sound and tailor it to suite your preferences perfectly. Not every headphone is as easy to tweak as the T50RP.

Second

Jon. 

1. Skip the Fiio E7 and E1. It's a waste of money that you could put to a nice headphone rather then to add useless carrying weight. Everything doesn't need amping, and only a few headphones need a amp to really sound better as without.

2, Use the money you save from above towards a new or better headphone.

3. Also, you said about library use? They aren't really good for portable use. 

You should, look into some Grado. Why? Because they fit your music tastes, can be used as a portable (I do) and sound great.
They don't leak too bad, but if you do blast them, people can hear them.

Also, I think you should look into IEM's for portable use. They will give you the isolation that you need without disturbing others around you if you're outside or in the library. 

Grado, and most IEM's don't need amps.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 12
HD668B if you want to go the cheapest route and/or don't want to take the time (several hours) and money (an additional $40-50) to mod the T50RP. Modded T50RP also needs a strong amp, making it a poor choice for portable usage.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Holy wow.  Thanks for all the responses, you guys.  I'm extremely appreciative.  I was thinking about buying the E7 just as a dac/possible amp if the Superlux if it was necessary but since you've said that, I'll skip it. 

As far as the E1, I already have it and just use it as an iPod line out dock.

Now, as far as headphones go.  If I was to stay in this price bracket, it seems I'd want to get the HD 668B's.  However, you've suggested Grados to me.

I already own a pair of RE0's (IEMs) which I'm not sure if you're familiar with, but I love them to death.  I've heard that some people don't like the "harshness" of their highs which I enjoy.  I've also heard that Grados are super forward and "in your face".  Sometimes a little too much so.  Will that be a problem? 

I took a look at the M-Audio Q40's and although they seem nice, they're a bit expensive although I could consider that price range.  However, people have been describing it as a "Bass heavy" headphone.  I'm by no means a basshead, but I do enjoy my fair share for Electronic music (Think house).  Will this be over the top or is it just about perfect?

By the way, these phones are going to be mostly for home use, I just tossed the library question in there as an afterthought.  My roommates may be disturbed, but I just want to make sure that I won't be absolutely killing them.

An aside: If a headphone is "Amp recommended", does that mean I should or shouldn't get an amp?  Will it not improve nearly as much as I think it will in SQ?

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 12
I have both the Superlux 668B and fostex T50rp. In my opinion, stock form, the fostex sound very boring, not worth the price tag, 668B is much better. 668B scale well with amp but i don't think E7 is good, skip it, save money and buy something better or just use e1, it will be fine.
P/s: If you enjoy Re0's high, you will absolutely love 668B 
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 12
I appreciate the response!  This is the most helpful thread I've ever been in haha. 

Last question, I don't use a DAC with my computer.  If I buy a cheapo DAC like the HM 101, will that be sufficient?  Or is this another thing that I simply don't need?

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Excuse me?  You must be a wizard.  Not only do I play music over my notebook when I'm not on my iPod, I use an ASUS computer...  Weird....  Mind link? Thanks though.  I'll look into it!

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I have both the Superlux 668B and fostex T50rp. In my opinion, stock form, the fostex sound very boring, not worth the price tag, 668B is much better. 668B scale well with amp but i don't think E7 is good, skip it, save money and buy something better or just use e1, it will be fine.
P/s: If you enjoy Re0's high, you will absolutely love 668B 
wink_face.gif

Wow. Thank you. This answer my question.  I have REO as well and like(sound quality) them so much. One more question though, can you compare the Superlux HD668B and Superlux HD661F? Which is closer to Re0'S sound signature? 

May 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 12
  Heya,

Here's the SR850.

Very best,

MalVeauX: I ordered Fostex T50RP, after I read your opinion about T50RP Vs 668B/SR850, even ordered Shure pads, and modding kit from myflowerelectronics.com, do you think that a modded T50RP, can be better for gaming ( sound stage, clear sound, details, accurate positional audio ), than stock 668B/SR850?
If so, wich of the many mods do you advice for the best gaming experience?
Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back