Superlux HD-668b vs. Creative Aurvana Live!
Mar 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Neeleyjared

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking to get my first set of high quality hadphones after going through several cheap in-ear ones. The two headphones I have narrowed it down to are....

1. Superlux HD-668b
2. Creative Aurvana Live!

I have done a lot of reasearch on these headphones but I would like to hear some opinions based on my circumstances. I will be playing these mainly out of my iPod and occasionally for movies and gaming, and I don't plan on getting an amp any time soon, so  want a pair that will play well right out of my iPod. Second, I am not a big bass head and the music I listen to, for the most part, has little bass and is mostly acoustic . While this is true, I do enjoy having a solid base for the songs that require it, just not booming. From your experiences which pair is better for you and whih would fit me best in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your responces!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 12
The CAL's do have a fair amount of bass response, but not so that it overshadows the mids.  I find them to be a fairly balanced set, and quite nice for gaming, movies, and music.  They are also very easy to drive, and will work well with your sources.  The Superlux will be brighter overall.  You would probably be happy with either, as they are two of the better headphones in this price range.

Those HI-2050's look interesting.  Haven't seen a review of them around here though. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Oh and one more thing, most of my music is either FLAC or 320 bit mp3's, but I do have some older music that is 192 bit mp3's, will this music sound bad on either of these headphones?

EDIT: I saw some threads that recommended the Sony MDR-ZX700, are these good cans?

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Oh and one more thing, most of my music is either FLAC or 320 bit mp3's, but I do have some older music that is 192 bit mp3's, will this music sound bad on either of these headphones?

EDIT: I saw some threads that recommended the Sony MDR-ZX700, are these good cans?

Yes, those Sony headphones are another good headphone to consider.  Take a look at Tyll Hertsen's reviews of the Sony and Creative headphones here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I am starting to lean towards the Sony MDR ZX-700's because of a lot of great reviews. Are they worth the slight increase in price?

I hope they are better than the MDR ZX-500, because those are horrid. Truly ugly sound. The plastic housing resonates like the dickens.

May 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 12
I already have the Monoprice 8323.  Would either of these be an upgrade and if so, how much?

Superlux is $41 and CAL! is $75, if there is only marginal difference, I'll pick the HD668B

May 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 12
The CAL have good sound quality but they are pretty lacking in soundstage and sub bass.... Overall they sound a bit erm... small.... They are good headphones though other than that. Not tried the Superlux but you could try the new Superlux 681 EVO - Probably the best for the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back