Superlux HD-330 experiences and discussion
Aug 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #31 of 61
  Sorry, I'm pretty much a dilettante in these things, so I'll ask a couple of amateurish questions if you don't mind. :) I have Edifier R1600T Plus speakers with an Asus Xonar DG sound card. What do you think, will these suffice? 

And secondly, remove the foam over the drivers... hmm... where do I do that? :) Is there a description anywhere there on the forum? 

I think they will suffice.

You can take off the pads then remove the foam like this. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567037/review-superlux-hd668b-they-cost-how-much-foam-mod-more-for-668b-681

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #34 of 61
  Meh, I'm not very satisfied with this can, I'm inclined to sending them back. They just sound... blunt to me. 

With any headphone give them about 10h of listening time. If after 10 hours you still don't like the sound then send them back. People mention 50h, 100h and even longer time to burn in. I personally don't think it takes that long to determine if you like a pair of headphones or not. If you have listened to them for 10h and looking for another pair of headphones do you have any idea what you're looking for ?

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #35 of 61

With any headphone give them about 10h of listening time. If after 10 hours you still don't like the sound then send them back. People mention 50h, 100h and even longer time to burn in. I personally don't think it takes that long to determine if you like a pair of headphones or not. If you have listened to them for 10h and looking for another pair of headphones do you have any idea what you're looking for ?

My problem is that I was hoping to get an airy sounding pair and on that account the HD-330 doesn't offer much. I asked on another forum and they suggested the following types: Takstar 671 or Audio Technica AD500X or the same brand and series, just the 900X model. I'm looking into finding an affordable place for the AD900X, although I've never ordered from abroad and where I live (Hungary) the Audio Technica headphones are very, very expensive (the AD900X is e.g. $500 the cheapest...).
Buying one as used is also an option.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #36 of 61
Originally Posted by Artsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here is indicative graphs for HD-330 and beyerdynamic DT-990 pro. Measured with bad equipment, so not accurate, but shows biggest differences with bass 
Surprisingly DT-770 and DT-990 pro earpads are totally different sounding. They look like same, but material inside is different. So if one thinks HD-330 have too much bass, put DT-990 pads on.

Hi. New member here.

I have used both EDT770V and EDT990v and it's no surprise to me that you have found them very different. Although they look identical, the materials used, as you say, are very different. The EDT770V uses a much stiffer (denser foam) and even the outer velour is a little harder than the EDT990V. It seems logical that they should sound different, as each was developed to match a specific design or type. EDT990V was created to complement the DT990 and DT880 (Open/Semi-open), and the EDT770V for the DT770 (Closed). Swapping them is not a good idea and it won't produce good results, as I have personally found out.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #39 of 61
  Hey folks, how's it going?

Does anyone know if an Asus Xonar DGX would be able to drive these headphones properly?

Thanks!

Jut got my pair, replying for reference in case anyone searches for it. My Xonar U3 has absolutely no trouble driving these, not even my SGS3. Ordering cheap Beyer replacemnt pads from eBay later, will post here if the sound is affected but I'm already certain of the effects on comfort (right now I have a bit of the earpad around the edge of my earlobe.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #40 of 61

Anyone looking for new earpads, try the Brotrade earpads made for the DT770. Got it from Amazon for around $10. My notes:

1. The foam feels softer but doesn't compress as much as the stock earpads, or maybe not but basically more comfortable. The smoother fake leather feels better on the skin too.

2. The opening in the center is considerably wider. Where the stock earpads feel more like on-ear pads unless you wear them dead-center to fit your earlobes in the widest area, these ones you can push forward a little bit and position the drivers slightly off to the front of the earlobes, reducing the fatiguing, too forward/steretypical headphone sound.

3. It comes with a foam driver cover, while the HD330 already has one in place. Experiment whether you would prefer just the Bropads or keep the stock screens in place.

3. When you get these new they are slightly smaller in diameter than the stock pads (even at that point though the opening in the center is wider). They will fit but basically you would be doing what someone in the factory must have done with the stock pads. You have to stretch the Bropads all the way around first, then try to mount it, anchoring one section first, holding it with your thumb, then stretching another side to "hook" more of the earpad around the mounting point, then continue all the way around. It's very important to be able to hold the sections that you've hooked around so far otherwise the contraction will pull them off. By the time you're done the contraction isn't a problem and over time it looks like it will stretch to that size. (If you look closely, there is enough talc powder on the amp that I used as a stand for that snapshot - my hands can get sweaty easily though but still don't expect the process to be easy)

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #42 of 61

Just searched "Brotrade DT770" - http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Compatible-Beyerdynamic-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00HBSNUO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438089878&sr=8-1&keywords=Brotrade+DT770

Don't forget my notes up there about how much more difficult these are to put on the HD330 - it's kind of like how people put tires over rims, but with some stretching and pinning down involved.

Note: I had a typo up there in the editing and reduced it down to "Bropads" instead of "Brotrade earpads." Edited now.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #43 of 61
i have had a pair of the HD330 for a few years in fact there are 3 pairs floating around the house. i also have a pair of DT880 600ohm, DT770 80ohm, Beyer Custom One 16ohm. i have had a few more headphones like older Beyer and Sony etc.etc

i use DT770 pads and foams on the HD330 and i also changed out the cable for Cordial CFS 3 WW.

roll on tonight and it was time to put a fresh set of DT770 pads on the HD330 (my computer headphones and get a lot of abuse) so while i was at it i ripped out the foam on the back of the grill (not the foam at the ear pads) just to see if it would make a difference and i'm glad to say its made a huge difference. it has really opened up the sound, tamed the bass and everything is a lot more 'airy' and tightened everything up bass notes are no longer 'one note' and strings sound superb with real bite. i would go as far to say that they are better then my DT880 apart from the extreme highs which are a bit more recessed on the HD330.

equipment used to test them. OPPO BDP95 hooked up to a RJM Audio headphone amp with Rike Audio S caps and a stepped ladder type volume control powered by a troidy audio grade 300VA 4x12VA housed separate from amp. the system is very high rez.

if you have a pair of HD330 then take the foam off the back of the grill and if you dont like it you can always put it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back