Superfi5pros-hiss with Sony sources?
Sep 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Can I just start by thanking this forums members (and amps too) for leading me down the path of better listening (and lighter wallet LOL)

Cutting a long story short - I get quite noticeable hiss when my Superfi5pros are plugged into Sony 808, Sony HD5, Sony HD1 and Archos 604. ( That's with no music playing, volume set to middle ) At first I thought a fault with the phones. But plugging into a Creative Zen Vision and there's no hiss at all ( well, if volume cranked up to max - but totally quiet at normal levels) So I tried the rest of my collection ( and yes - I AM a gadget collector!!) Panasonic SV-SD100 and SD85 - both completely silent/no hiss. A Sony minidisc RH1 is also no hiss.

Seems the Sony flash based and hard drive players make the superfis "hiss". Yet other brands (and the minidisc) dont!!?? Just wonder if a) others confirm what I'm hearing ? b) what might the explanation be? ( I believe these phones are very sensitive? How does that work?? )

PS I tried Ety 6is on the "hissy" players - cant hear any hiss with those phones?!

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Search and you will find a lot of info on IEM hiss. The UE Super.Fi 5 Pros are very sensitive and hiss with most every DAP. Your Creative probably has a better S/N ratio than your Sonys. You can try adding an inline resistor to up the impedance and reduce hiss (search for more info on this).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I just start by thanking this forums members (and amps too) for leading me down the path of better listening (and lighter wallet LOL)

Cutting a long story short - I get quite noticeable hiss when my Superfi5pros are plugged into Sony 808, Sony HD5, Sony HD1 and Archos 604. ( That's with no music playing, volume set to middle ) At first I thought a fault with the phones. But plugging into a Creative Zen Vision and there's no hiss at all ( well, if volume cranked up to max - but totally quiet at normal levels) So I tried the rest of my collection ( and yes - I AM a gadget collector!!) Panasonic SV-SD100 and SD85 - both completely silent/no hiss. A Sony minidisc RH1 is also no hiss.

Seems the Sony flash based and hard drive players make the superfis "hiss". Yet other brands (and the minidisc) dont!!?? Just wonder if a) others confirm what I'm hearing ? b) what might the explanation be? ( I believe these phones are very sensitive? How does that work?? )

PS I tried Ety 6is on the "hissy" players - cant hear any hiss with those phones?!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back